~ The Moon Beneath The Lake: Part 2 ~

"Why? That portal's been closed for centuries!"

"The Dragonguard and Avizandum captured Aarovos in a prison; before my dad released him from it. But for my plan to work we need to know how they did it." 

They began to descend the mountain as they continued their conversation.

"But Avizandum is dead, and the Dragonguard is either dead or on the run!" Rayla snapped.

"Not all of the Dragongaurd..." Claudia pulled the small leather pouch out of her satchel, "Did you bring the third coin?"

"Y-you can help them? I've searched every book on dark magic I could find, there was nothing!"

"That's because the solution doesn't involve dark magic, it needs primal magic. Your parents are moonshadow elves, correct?" She said gesturing to the coins.

"Yes?"

"Hence the Moon Nexus!" Claudia said cheerily.

----------

Callum pulled out his sketchbook, it would be a while until Rayla would get back, so he may as well pass the time doing something. The doctor came in to check on him every few hours, explaining things in terms he could not, for the life of him, understand. All he got out of it was "You're going to be fine."

He sat there staring at his blank page, but he had no idea what to draw; which was a first. He didn't know why, but suddenly he felt compelled to draw the creature that had attacked him the night before. Although he couldn't draw in colour, with each stroke of the pencil the colour seemed to appear, but as soon as he blinked it was gone. I'm going crazy! All the blood loss must've gotten to my head! He thought to himself. He added the last details to the piece then glanced around the room. It was dead silent. The light above him started to flicker, and a chilling breeze filled the room, making him shiver. Looking back at his page made his heart stop. The drawing was gone! He flipped through all his pages hoping that the breeze had just blown the pages around, but there was nothing. Where the hell had it gone?! Suddenly the lights shut off leaving him in complete darkness. His heart was beating out of his chest and his palms became sweaty. He couldn't breath, the air that surrounded him tasted toxic as he inhaled, and he was feeling terribly nauseous.

"Callum" A voiced echoed, "Callum!"

He jolted upright and the lights around him were blinding. As his eyes adjusted, he looked to see Rayla sitting on the edge of his bed, holding his hand tightly, and Claudia just behind her. They both had worried expressions on their face.

"It was a dream?" Callum asked, putting a hand to his throbbing forehead.

Rayla smiled gently and gave him a hug, "Yeah, Cal. Just a dream."

Rayla could feel the jealously radiating from Claudia as she watched the two of them in each other's arms, and she couldn't help but feel amused.

"Ehem." Claudia interrupted, "Full moon! We need to hurry!"

"Are you ok to walk Cal?" Rayla asked.

"Yeah, I should be. What's this about the full moon?" 

"Come on then, we'll explain on the way," Claudia said giving a Rayla a sour look.

----------

"So you're telling me we're going to open a portal between life and death, release Tiadrin, Lain and Runaan from their coins, then come back out a devise some miraculous plan to defeat an archmage we know literally nothing about?!" Callum exclaimed sceptically. 

"Well yes, and no. I won't be going in there with you."

"What? Why not?" Rayla questioned.

"Because you have to pass a test; a test of temptation," Claudia stared at her feet, "And I would give in to mine."

They continued to climb in silence and when they reached the top they were greeted by Lujanne. After explaining their crazy plan to her, they made their way to the nexus. At the edge of the lake, Lujanne explained one last time.

"Ok. Once you go through this portal I can no longer help you. They say the entrance to the spirit world is guarded by souls of those who have failed. There will be a test of temptation and if you succeed you are safe, if not you will be trapped forever. Are you ready?"

"Oh and don't forget the coins!" Claudia added, handing Rayla the little leather pouch.

She nodded respectfully before grasping Callum's hand. Together the two of them waded through the crystal clear water until it was at their waists. The full moon's reflection glistened as it rose overhead.

Lujanne conjured a massive shining rune in the air, then spoke the ancient trigger words, "Deorsum autem... ad illud cogitandum... revelare ostende mini!" The rune flew forward toward the lake, then exploded into millions of tiny sparkles as it hit the water's surface, making it impossible to see. In amongst the blinding shimmering lights, Callum and Rayla felt the floor underneath them disappearing, and then a pure white light engulfed their vision...