~ The Creature ~

Memories flashed before Callum's eyes, he remembered that name, from his father's letter.

"Aaravos? As in the archmage Aaravos?" Callum said in bewilderment.

"Yes, how do you know that?" Claudia asked just as puzzled as he was.

"The letter my father wrote to me all those years ago, it mentions him," Callum explained, "He hid the 'Key of Aaravos' in the Banther Lodge for me to find, it's this-"

"Cube with runes on each side?"

"Yeah, how did you-"

"We have to leave now, pack all your things there's no time to lose!" Claudia urged.

"Why-"

"I'll explain on the way!"

"But what about-"

"You can bring the elf, but if we stay here, everyone is in danger! Don't forget that cube, go!"

----------

Callum burst through the front door startling Rayla. He began rushing around looking in draws and cupboards.

"Callum look, I wanted to apol-"

"No time Ray, we need to leave, I'll explain on the way. Pack food and water and I'll get clothes. Oh, and have you seen that rune cube I used to carry with me?"

Rayla stood there for a moment completely puzzled, but then began to pack. She was confused but didn't ask questions, she didn't want to get on Callum's nerves after the fight they had earlier.

"I think it's in that drawer over there." Rayla pointed to the desk in the corner.

Callum opened the draw and pulled out the rune cube, "Thanks."

They took a backpack each plus another bag of clothes Callum had packed. Rayla grabbed her swords as they walked out the door.

"Can you tell me what's going on Callum?" Rayla asked.

"Long story short, the archmage Aaravos is looking for his cube and he'll do anything to get it. We're meeting Claudia at the moon Nexus, she has a plan apparently." He explained.

Rayla was about to protest to the fact that he was working with Claudia but she stopped, just trust him she thought to herself.

As the sunset above them, they trudged through the thick greenery of the forest around them, Rayla taking the lead to cut the vines ahead. Eventually, they reached a small clearing and decided to set up camp for the night. 

Rayla sat quietly at the edge of the fire poking it with a stick. The golden flames illuminated her face, and for the first time, Callum could see she had been crying. He smiled gently and patted the spot beside him signalling for her to come and sit. She rested her head on his shoulder and he wrapped his arms around her.

"I'm sorry," She said quietly.

He looked at her comfortingly and kissed her forehead, "Don't apologise, you had every right to be upset. What matters now is that we stick together, the conflict will only tear us apart."

"So you don't hate me?"

"Of course not, you're my amazingly talented and beautiful girlfriend," Callum chuckled lightheartedly.

"Come here." Rayla pulled Callum in by his scarf and french kissed him. The kiss lasted minutes before their lips parted.

"Did I mention you're a great kisser too?" Callum remarked.

"Nope. But I could get used to it," Rayla giggled.

---------- 

The wind howled as Callum looked up to the stary night sky. Rayla's hair shone silver in the moonlight and he couldn't help but admire her beauty. She had fallen asleep with her head resting on his lap. He took off his jacket and put it over shoulders, her skin was warm against his frigid hands. The peacefulness and tranquillity of the night didn't last long as she soon became restless like every other night. Just as Callum was about to wake her up from her nightmare, he heard a twig snap somewhere behind him. He turned abruptly to see two malicious purple eyes staring back at him. Slowly he reached for one of Rayla's blades, never losing eye contact with whatever was in front of him. She had taught him a few defensive techniques, and he hoped that that would be enough to scare away whatever animal lurked in the darkness. But as it emerged from the shadows, he realised this was no animal. It's stiff ugly limbs outstretched like a spider, neck bent in a direction that looked so unnatural is was repulsive. Callum stood there frozen. It's razor-sharp claws scraped along the ground causing a horrible sound, like nails on a chalkboard. Callum, realizing that this was no ordinary creature, rushed to protect Rayla, who was still sound asleep. His sudden move startled the demon creature, and without warning, it scuttled and launched itself onto him, knocking Rayla's sword out of his grasp. They fell to the ground in a violent tussle. Callum kicked and punched aggressively, but it was persistent. The creature became berserk and unsheathed its claws leaving a deep gash on Callum's left shoulder. 

"Arghhh" Callum wailed in agony.

But just as he was about to give up, the monster let out a high-pitched shriek, louder than that of a banshee. A knife had been propelled into its bony chest. Rayla! Callum let out a sigh of relief, it was dead. 

"Callum!" Rayla cried, rushing to his side. Her hands hovered over his shoulder not knowing what to do. "Hang on, I'll find something to stop the bleeding!"

Adrenaline rushed through Callum's muscles, causing him to shake vigorously as he sat up. His wound was bleeding heavily and his clothes were drenched in blood. Rayla tore a long strip of cloth from their tent and wrapped it around his arm tightly. He winced in pain.

"T-That's not going to stop the bleeding for long, we need to go back, you need a hospital," Rayla stammered.

"No there's no time, that's what he wants! We need to make it to the Nexus, Lujanne will know what to do."

"Callum, you'll bleed out!" She sobbed.

"Well, we better get moving then."

"Callum! I'm not letting you, I can't lose you!"

"You won't, I promise. I can walk, really I'm fine." He said as he stood up. 

Rayla reluctantly threw all the bags over her shoulders, "Are you sure about this, Callum?"

"Yes."