Chapter 33

Dereck's Pov:

"Will you stand up there with me please?" Vin asked as we watched the fifty or so member's from print, radio and TV news affiliates come in and take seats. It was kind of crazy.

I caressed his cheek. "You don't even need to ask. I'm with you. Now let's get up there and get your drama wh*re on." I teased to lighten his mood.

He gave me a quick hard kiss and we walked over to the make shift little stage that had a little podium with microphone on it.

"Good afternoon. Let me just start off by expressing my appreciation that you gave us a few days to grieve in private. I ask that you all please hold any questions you may have until the end as I may have already planned on answering them.

As you all can imagine this has been devastating to my family. At the end of this I have an announcement to make but I'd like to give you all some background information before I proceed with that.

About a year ago I walked in on my father beating my sister. I got in and yes we exchanged blows when he tried to keep me from helping her up. You see he'd beaten her so badly that she couldn't even stand. I'm sure your wondering why? Simply because she told him she was a lesbian. My father and I had words and that night I moved out. I hadn't spoken to my parents since that night. Until some months ago when I was summoned down to the family's attorney, he demanded I sign a nondisclosure and long story short I made some very inappropriate comments about what he could do with that. The following night Peter and my mother came to my house.

I'm not going to lie. I taunted him, I rubbed it in his face that not only was his daughter a lesbian but I was also gay and proud of the fact that I'm in love with Dereck. Again long story short, he became violent and yeah I'm not gonna lie so did I.

You see, I'd spent months pissed that he'd hurt my sister and then he had the audacity to show up at my house and hit Dereck. So yeah we fought and Dereck intervened and got him... lets say settled down. Anyway I dragged his worthless self outside and in true Peter fashion he decided he needed to use a gay punching bag. Unfortunately for him things went differently then they did when he tried that with my sister.

I walked back in to see my mom and Dereck on the couch having a heart to heart. I was short and basically told her to get out because in my mind he was just as bad as him. She didn't stop him either time and didn't say a word to dispute what he declared. At that time I had no idea that she'd been my dad's punching bag for almost 17 years.

I froze her out for a while and I'll regret that as long as I live because that would have given me extra time with an incredibly strong and resilient woman. Sure she made mistakes. Everyone does but in her own way she protected us from him for years.

She hid the beatings he gave her, tried everything she could to be his perfect wife. As we all know the problem lies with the abuser and not the abused. He broke her, isolated her and made her doubt her own worth as a human being. To him she was just another piece of furniture he acquired, she had no freedoms or rights.

She hid it from my sister and I so that we didn't have to know that, that monster was our father. She hid it from everyone around her because she was terrified no one would believe her and because he was such a powerful man with even more powerful connections. She was afraid of him and felt she had no where to go. She'd spent almost her entire life with that man and didn't know any other way.

Thankfully that heart to heart she had with Dereck helped set her free. He gave her the courage to stand up for herself. And because of that she was free and truly happy her last months. She was slowly but surely getting back to the woman she was before Peter broke her down.