chapter 2

Human beings.
vote.

*******************

"So that was how God called Samuel and his first message was the destruction of his master, Eli, and his sons..."

Mr. Odeh's voice trailed off gradually as my thoughts travelled from 'The biblical calling of Samuel', which was our lesson for the day, to the sight of my food flask beckoning to me with a halo and an ' awwww ' being chorused in angelic voices.

Yes. Hunger did stuffs like that do me.

But it isn't even short break yet.

That doesn't matter, you can go ahead and sneak a few bites.

It was the echoes again.

Sigh.

"Temi... earth to Temi!" I flinched when two slender fingers of Sarah suddenly snapped very close to my face.

My mind had wandered off again.

"What were you thinking about aunty. The bell has already been rung for short break. Don't you want to anything from any of the vendors or something?"

The knowing smirk playing at her lips as she said it made me glare at her.

"You go ahead, I'll be there in a bit," I said with a fake smile on and nodded towards the doorway of the already empty class.

She raised her brow questioningly but complied. After a few seconds, I was alone in the empty class.

I took in deep breaths for a few seconds before I began to arrange up my stuff into the empty space of my new locker.

My heart skipped a beat when I noticed a white envelope peeking out of my biology textbook. I didn't remember putting that there.

Even though I knew about the saying 'curiosity kills the cat', I couldn't help my inquisitiveness. I wanted to open the letter.

Before nko?

But what if it held someone's personal information or secret? Wouldn't that be invasion of privacy?

It's not like you went to someone else's bag to take it, it's in your biology textbook. It's totally yours.

I turned to the first page to be sure I didn't take someone else's book by mistake. Temiloluwa's copy was clearly visible in my bold writing.

So it was mine...

Yes now can we get to the contents of the envelope already?

Rolling my eyes at my subconscious, I neatly tore open the envelope to reveal a folded foolscap sheet. I hastily unfolded it as the time for short break would soon be over and I wouldn't survive it if I didn't eat before it ended.

Yes. I love food, I know.

I diverted my attention to the open note in front of me.The salutation of the note almost gave me a heart attack.