Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"What sound does a horse make?" asked Vihaan

Arnav looked at the boy who was taping his horse toy on table making riding sound and sighed. Well, here is one reason kids intimidate Arnav. They ask you such questions for which you are supposed to know an answer, but unfortunately don't know.

"Er... I am not sure."

Vihaan lifted his head and looked at Arnav disappointedly. "You are not?" Then he went back to playing with the toy mimicking what could definitely not be a horse's sound.

Khushi has excused herself to go to kitchen leaving behind Arnav and Vihaan in the makeshift dining table with a toy, glass of juice and no common topic for conversation.

Arnav knew that as an elder he was supposed to take the responsibility of pulling the younger one into conversation.

"So," he asked. "What is his name?"

Arnav pointed at a knight in complete medieval war time attire sitting on the horse that Vihaan was playing with.

"It is a she. Mumma said soldiers don't have to be boys. They can be girl. So, I named her Vishi. You know Vishi is..." then he paused as if giving Arnav an opportunity to guess.

Arnav's lips curved into a smile as he realized someone was waiting for his genius idea to be appreciated. "Oh!" he exclaimed. "I get it. Vihaan and Khushi. Vishi." Patting Vihaan's shoulder, Arnav said, "That is a brilliant name."

"Thank you." Vihaan's smile that followed was very wide and genuine.

It was plainly evident how efficient Khushi was being as a mother. It has been over an hour since Arnav has come to the house and Vihaan was winning his heart again and again over every second only. That is saying something given the fact that Arnav doesn't consider him a kids' person at all. However, Vihaan impressed him immensely with his buoyant smile, infectious energy and unimaginable cleverness for his age. After spending a week with a nephew who brought hell to earth because Arnav lifted his toy, seeing a boy who voluntarily shares chocolates with him saying 'mumma says we should share whatever we have with others' is welcome change. Arnav was only a minute away from pulling Vihaan's cheeks and hug him for being so adorable.

Even for someone being too engrossed in a kid, Arnav didn't miss to observe that there were no traces of a husband or father. Khushi did say that Vihaan was her only family, but Arnav expected at least to see family photo. Knowing Khushi, she did seem like a person who wants her son to know about all his family even if they weren't literally or otherwise present in their life.

What about Vihaan's father? What about Khushi's parents? Not even their photo?

Widow or Divorcee? Seemed like the top two options.

Vihaan couldn't be adopted for he resembled Khushi a lot. However, it could be an in family adoption. He wouldn't put it past Khushi to be bigger person and take responsibility even if he wasn't her own son.

Arnav swore he wasn't going to be nosy about her. But, this put too much temptation on his curiosity that Arnav felt he would just explode if he develops any more speculations about Khushi or her life.

"What are you both talking about?" Khushi asked as she came out of the kitchen with two bowls. Arnav immediately stood up. "Can I help you?" he asked. Khushi looked at him. "oh, you can." She gave him a lopsided smile. "You are not my boss today so I can get some work from you." She teased.

***

"I don't have to take nap today. It is Diwali. So, I can watch cartoon before it is time for bursting crackers." A grinning Vihaan informed Arnav.