Chapter 21

Chapter 21

In spite of the disgruntled state Arnav was in, his dreams were pleasing. It was about him and Khushi walking in the park and laughing. The scenes were unclear, but Arnav liked it. So, to be woken up by something thump on his face harshly was not at all welcome.

What was that, a toy dinosaur?

His eyes felt like it was glued together. Arnav put all his mental and physical strength together to open his eyes and lift his body. His eyes met with caramel brown eyes staring at him curiously.

"Who are you?" he asked

"Now you don't even recognize my daughter? This is what happens when you don't meet us for forever."

The shrill voice pierced his ears in annoyance. Arnav turned to his right to look at a familiar face coloured with disapproval.

"Nidhi?" he asked surprised.

What was his cousin doing at his house? Or was he in Dehradun at her house? He was pretty sure alcohol doesn't enable air travel on own.

"Mom was wise in suggesting I take your house's spare key from her. Else, you wouldn't have even let us in."

Arnav didn't even have to turn around to know who was talking. He cannot forget that voice even in highest stage of intoxication. It was his very own sister Anjali Kapoor nee Raizada.

Arnav with struggle lifted himself on his feet and before he could stable himself a quick dash and hug around his legs by young Adit caught him off guard.

"Mamu, did you miss me?"

As Arnav bent down to pick his nephew, he heard Anjai taunt, "Adit make sure if your mamu even remembers you or you will get same treatment as little Preeti."

Was the little doll staring at him with upturned lips his youngest niece?

"When did you grow up so much?"

Arnav immediately regretted that question for he knew what the answer from his sister and cousin will be. He is all aware of how he locked everyone out of his life and didn't even bother to keep in touch with his cousins to the barest minimum. He wasn't proud of it, but he didn't have any choice.

Arnav arched his eyebrows looking at his sister who reflected his expression sternly. So, she wants him to voice the question? Fine.

"What are you both doing here?" he asked looking between Anjali and Nidhi. "That too with kids."

Nidhi, the chatterbox was quick to answer, "Not just kids, husbands, Aman bhaiya, Pritivi, Siya..."

"Basically whole clan." Anjali completed their cousin's sentence with irritated sigh.

Whole clan? Of course, it is second week of May. How can he forget?

The younger lot of his family were all going to Singapore for summer vacation. Arnav received relentless calls, mails and texts asking to confirm his participation, but he callously ignored. He vaguely remembered his mother mentioning that everyone will stay at his place for a day and night before they all together take a flight from International airport in the city. Arnav was occupied otherwise to fret on his cousins' impending visit. Now, however, he regretted not being more aware. At least he could have avoided hangover. All his cousins with his sister will give him enough head ache rivalling two hangovers.

After a tall glace of lemonade, his brother-in law Shyam's courtesy and quick shower, Arnav sat on the kitchen island feet dangling, as his sister made him breakfast.

"You can be more welcoming to everyone." She murmered angrily placing a roti on his plate.

"What do you mean? I didn't even say anything to anyone." Arnav said offended.