Chapter 10 - Part A

Chapter 10 – Part A

Arnav has exhausted his reason pool by giving one reason after another to avoid any social gathering. By now, he was sure everyone has got the message that inviting Arnav for a party is only waste of their own time. That is why he was surprised to receive a call from his friend and colleague Akash as the first thing in the morning of second last day of the year inviting Arnav to office's New Year bash.

"I know how it will be, Akash. Pompous party, pretentious crowd. I don't see why anyone would want to attend it let alone me who have been avoiding parties like plague."

Even if Arnav wanted to break his party celibacy, his office party is the last one he should be considering.

"You know why this party is important, Arnav. All important people in the company will be in attendance. If you, recently promoted Project director is absent, then people will raise question." Arnav was about to say that he didn't care about all that when Akash added. "Sitara is still your strong opposition in office. You have won this time, who knows what will happen when it's time to select the new VP in couple of years. She is already forming worthy network. You cannot let her win in what means the most."

Becoming Vice President of the company is a dream that Arnav conjured as soon as he realized that he was more talented than he gave him credits for in college. Now, after over a decade of hard work, he is on the right path to achieve his dream. He will be damned before he lets anything jeopardize it.

"If it helps, then you get to bring a plus one this year." Akash said.

"How does it help?"

"It does."Akash supposed. "You can bring someone who can make that boring party interesting for you. I wish I could bring my wife. When she is tipsy, she is enough entertainment for me. Unfortunate for me, plus one invitation is reserved for top level people only."

Arnav for the life of him couldn't comprehend why the minute Akash said he could bring a plus one, his mind imagined Khushi.

Arnav's second divorce sparked more controversy because his ex-wife, Tanisha, was also working at the same office. He didn't pay attention to that part of the office gossip where people dissected his marriage life, but he was sure that there was a committee formed by Tanisha's friends and headed by Sitara, for her own benefit, that held him at mistake and called him names. If he was going to face the gossip mongers en mass, the least he could do is take someone with him, who can smooth the experience for him.

"If you don't have anyone to take with you, then I can bring my wife. I am sure she can teach you a comeback or two when people are privy."

"I do have someone in mind."

"Really!" Akash was surprised.

"Yeah! Kinda."

"Arnav, how did you even find someone when you all the time only stayed inside the house? Are you using Tinder?"

Arnav mentally rolled his eyes. How did he come from debating if he should go to the party or not to who is he going to take with him.

"I have better standards okay." Arnav could hear Akash scoff. "You have already spoiled the morning by talking about this party, now; at least don't spoil the project by not fixing the bug."

"Touche." Akash said and Arnav was sure that he would have pouted.

"I will think about this party and let you know. Now, I have to go back to reviewing presentation before meeting with the client."

Arnav did everything but go back to doing his work. He drank two cups of coffee, walked across his living room for half an hour, watched random youtube videos and sat in the balcony staring at his laptop screen. When finally Khushi came for her work, he has prepared himself mentally on what to ask her and how to ask her.

"It is an office part. Why would you want me there?"

Khushi took his invitation better than he expected which means she didn't laugh at his face or glare at him.

"It is New year party with office folks, not exactly office party."

Khushi narrowed her eyes at him. "Are they both different?"

"Sure." Arnav nodded.

Arnav stood calmly in front of Khushi leaning on the parapet, while Khushi was putting out the clothes just out of washing machine on nylon thread to observe sun lost in her thoughts. He was tempted to persuade her, however he wanted the decision to be hers completely and not sway her through his words.

"I don't know anyone you work with. It will be awkward." She reasoned.

"I am going to face most of them after over a year, Khushi. It couldn't be more awkward for you than me."

Khushi understood what he meant. In fact that precisely was the reason why she was even considering going to the party with him. After God knows how many months Arnav was ready for socializing and if Khushi can be even a partial help to bring him out of the shell, then she will be very happy.

"How will you introduce me to your colleagues?"

Not that Khushi was ashamed of her work, but she was also rational enough to not expect everyone to be non judgemental. A Project Director of a famous company bringing his house help as his plus one will be frowned upon and she can't even blame people for that.

"We are friends, aren't we?"

Arnav looked at her pointedly as if he was disappointed in her for even questioning something on such grounds. He called her his friend and he made sure to always respect her and their friendship. It was futile to even question his stand on it.

Khushi placed her hands on her hip and sighed.

"It kinda feels tempting to attend a party after so many years." She said sheepily.

"It's a good thing." He assured

"I can leave Vihaan with my landlady for the night. She will be happy to have him." She said biting her bottom lip.

"That's good as well."

He could feel yes playing on the tip of her tongue and he was getting impatient waiting for it.

"You are sure, right?" she asked gingerly.

For the first time, Arnav saw a glimpse of vulnerability in her.

"Khushi, I have never been so sure of something in years."

Whatever her heart cautioned, his eyes promised that he will keep her safe. So, finally, Khushi whispered "Yes".

***

This update is short because I have somewhere to go immediately after posting this. I will update another part (Chapter 10 – Part B) tomorrow with party fun.