Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Khushi has not been out alone with a man who was not Anurag. She remembered their first date vividly. It was in a place that sold flattering Dabeli behind their school building. It was late evening after their tuitions and she had worn her ill fitting kurti and faded jeans. It was the time when sneaking with each other mattered more than dressing to nine. However, today, though it isn't a date but only a dinner, Khushi reminded herself once again, that she sees as an opportunity to treat Arnav for all the good things he did for her including her new job.

"Are you sure you don't want to come with mumma?" Khushi asked her son looking at him through the reflection of mirror in front of which she was standing to pull her hair into French plait.

Vihaan shifted his attention from his notebook and looked at his mom with sigh of exhaustion.

"No mumma." He said with hint of annoyance. She has asked him the same question many times in pat few hours and he only gave her the same answer.

Khushi stuck out her tongue at him mocking his annoyance, making Vihaan roll his eyes.

Of course, which six year old will want to skip a birthday part of a friend to attend boring dinner with two adults who refused to let him play games in phone for more than 15 minutes at a stretch?

"Did you pack the gift?" Khushi asked

Vihaan lifted a very messy gift wrapped box that contained a small car toy that Khushi could afford. She chuckled at the generous use of beige tape that made the gift look like it was a bandaged red bundle.

Khushi sat on her knees in front of her son and kissed his cheeks. He was so proud of his flawed handiwork, just like how he is proud of his inconvenient lifestyle. She was glad that he at least had a friend like Mithun and the Chopras who saw him for who he is and not from where he comes. Else, Khushi couldn't imagine leaving her son alone with people who were condescending towards him even for matter of hours.

"Chalo."

***

A huge weight lifted off of his chest when he saw Khushi come with Vihaan tailing behind her. From the moment Arnav and Khushi decided on this so called dinner, Arnav has been in predicament. It is one thing to have dinner with her even in cosy intimate setting of his apartment when he has clear feelings towards her and completely different even when he is in a crowded restaurant sharing a table with her when the soft corner he has for her creeps in now and then disturbing his thought process. If Vihaan comes with them, then he can be a perfect buffer between them. Also, that boy is totally cute and Arnav can't complain about any time he gets to spend with him.

Arnav's relief was short lived as Khushi informed him that they have to drop Vihaan at his friend's two blocks away for a birthday party.

"Don't you want to come with us, Vihaan? We can have ice creams." Arnav tried to tempt the boy.

"But Arnav uncle Mithun's party has magician and clown. "

Now who can argue with that?

So, Khushi and Arnav, after dropping Vihaan, proceeded to the place that Khushi meticulously selected after thorough internet search.

"They are said to serve best kebabs." She said as they both entered the restaurant together.

Khushi consciously twisted a strand of hair that has escaped from properly combed plait and stuck a bobby pin to secure them. Once her hair looked good, she pouted her lips and cursed herself for not having the sense to buy a decent coloured lip balm. Now her lips looked pale and her transparent chapstick had done no help. She took tissues from the side and wiped extra kajal that has left the curve of her eyes.