Chapter 16

Chapter 16

It was a voice message that was sent out in whisper and urgency, as Arnav could deduct from the speed of the words. The message was from Khushi's phone in which Vihaan had invited him to his school's annual day celebration where he was not only going to get prize for the presentation that he and Arnav worked together, but also going to give a speech. In Vihaan's words, 'Thanks speech'.

Oh! That boy is really cute and Arnav missed him.

Arnav was not given the luxury of time to process if he was going to attend the function. The voice invitation came out in the morning and the function was in the evening, precisely two hours later.

Arnav had no contact with Khushi after the last time they met in the cafe and decided on a heartbreaking result for their burgeoning feelings. However, that in no way meant that he didn't think about her. Every waking moment, he spent in sometimes vague and most of the times definite thoughts of Khushi. Now, that she knew about his feelings, he felt less guilty about thinking about her albeit they had decided not to hope for a future together. Arnav's only explanation to this somewhat self hurting act was that he will one day be left with no imagination or hope and then he will go back to his old sulking life.

To receive such a tempting invitation from Vihaan felt equal parts doom and prospect. At least he doesn't have to sell an awkward excuse for his desperation to meet her. He was aiming to collect as much as memory he can with her, so that he will never feel short for a lifetime.

Picking a well ironed blue trousers and matching it with crisp beige T-shirt, Arnav decided to accept the invitation eagerly and gracefully.

***

Khushi was surprised to see Arnav waiting in front of the school gate when the auto pulled over. Seeing Vihaan run towards Arnav with huge smile, screaming "Arnav uncle, thanks for coming." was proof enough to know who had invited him.

"Hi." Arnav said as Khushi stood in front of him.

"Hi."

The past days Khushi has given herself a task to not think about Arnav. For every time she thought about him, she would start playing one round of the game that she recently downloaded in her phone. She is convinced that it helps, but just saying that Khushi is the top ranking player in the game internationally with most rounds played.

She had all the rights to ask Arnav to leave. Any complications thrown in the way of their decision should be avoided vehemently. But, all she could do when she saw Arnav was flush like a teenage girl and rub at the place where her treacherous heart skipped a beat.

Guilty pleasures are allowed her father told her every time he would sneak a sweet hiding from her mother who was hell bent on keeping his diabetes in check.

Now, when prospect of Arnav spending next two to three hours presented before Khushi. She repeated the same to herself. "Guilty pleasure is allowed."

Arnav was a common man with common dreams and the major portion of his common man dreams with a family of his own were conjured in the setting of a public gathering where he could flaunt the perfection his life is. After the diabolical turn of events in his own life, Arnav was sure he can never feel anything close to pride in public. However, this God sent moment, seemed like one of those illusions that is showered upon one so that one can experience even though isn't entitled.

Khushi by his side going over the pamphlet that listed events of the day counting how many minutes before Vihaan's vote of thanks, Vihaan in his lap reciting the speech while Arnav is making corrections on pronunciation , seemed like a scene Arnav can capture in memory and visit even as he gets old.