Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Arnav look at the phone ringing and Khushi's name flashed. He placed his laptop aside and picked the phone. He knew she must be calling to ask him something as trivial as if she should buy imported washing liquid or if he wants baby corn. Their conversation has mellowed down to things like this after his confession of being married twice.

Khushi didn't pry him more on his failed marriages. She left him with sympathetic pat and gloomy look. Perhaps she didn't know his full story and so she began to walk on egg shells around him fearing she might offend him. Arnav understood her, but he was yet not ready to open up to her.

It was just a bump in their almost friendship and Arnav was only buying time before he could talk to her.

"Hello, Khushi."

"Hey! Am I disturbing you?"

"No, what is it?"

"Well..." she hesitated for a minute trying to form words in her mind. "Can I ask for a favour?"

"Sure?"

"My neighbour was supposed to take care of Vihaan, but someone in her family died and she has to leave. I don't have many acquaintances here in the city. I don't know what to do now."

"You mean babysit?"

He could hear Khushi gulp and her voice sounded apologetic. "I am sorry for asking you this. I know I am taking liberty..."

"Oh! Khushi, don't think like that. I would be happy to take care of him. You don't have to be so formal."

She let out a sigh of relief.

"Thank God! " he could hear smile in her voice. "I was a minute away from breaking down. I don't think I will remember anything when I see exam question paper."

"Exams?" Arnav asked and immediately he felt like a fool. Has Khushi been studying all these months and he has been dense enough to not notice it?

"Yeah, my finals." She said. "I will be back around 2, then do my works and make dinner." Before he could say anything, she continued. "You know lunch is in fridge, right? You can reheat it. Vihaan has his own lunch box. Don't worry about him. He won't trouble you."

Arnav only wordlessly agreed to whatever she said. He was still stuck in the fact that she was going to give her final exams and he has been so ignorant that he didn't know that she was studying. Yes, there were clues. Her incomparable English knowledge, her always being busy in laptop, her making frequent trips to library, but Arnav looked through all it.

Has he become a prejudice that he always prided that he was not? Did he think that since she is a house help she cannot be educated?

Khushi was at his doorstep fifteen minutes later with cheerful Vihaan beside her.

"Arnav uncle!" Vihaan cried as he extended his arms and Arnav bent down to pick him in his arms with so much casualty like they have been doing hug and spin forever.

Khushi handed a bag to Arnav. "This has his colouring book and crayons. He will take a nap after lunch, so don't worry he will not trouble you."

"How can this little boy trouble me!" Arnav shared a cheeks grin with Vihaan.

"I owe you one."Khushi said pulling her bag

"I will keep that in mind." Arnav smiled.

After Khushi waved them bye and she was waiting for lift, she heard Arnav call her.

"All the best!" he said and Vihaan repeated the same making both chuckle.

"Thank you!" she grinned at them both.