Chapter 18 & 19

Chapter 18

Khushi was leaning on the parapet of the balcony when she heard the knock. She didn't lock the door. She knew Arnav would be coming.

"Door is open." She shouted from where she stood.

Arnav insisted on booking a separate room for him. "But we will have late night snacks in your room." Khushi smiled at him knowingly. After the gentleman in Arnav spoke, Khushi realized that in spite of her insistence, if he had booked a single room she would have cursed herself or both sooner or later. Her reckless impulsiveness, the same one that is the reason for her present state in all means, the one that she has been trying to tame ever since she became a mother, was returning with a vengeance. Khushi was happy at least one of them had their head in the right place to avoid further embarrassments.

"They didn't have much choice in unhealthy snacks." Arnav complained even he carried a tray that held a plate of potato wedges, some garlic bread, one piece of chocolate cake, a bottle of cold drink and two empty glasses.

"Maybe they are concerned about customers' digestive issues." she said as she hopped from her place and perched on one of the two empty chairs placed facing the night sky.

"They shouldn't be if they have good acids to clean any sh!t left behind." Arnav tried to look embarrassed at his unsavoury joke, but really he couldn't help the grin spread on his cheeks at coming up with something smut.

Khushi chuckled before she recalled something said to her few years ago and chuckled more until the chuckle remained in her lips unfading and her eyes held a distant look of recollection.

Arnav was wary now. "I know it was a bad joke, but you don't have to make your pretence laugh very obvious."

"Oh!No not at all." Khushi assured. "I was thinking about something someone told me."

Arnav dipped two potato wedges in ketchup and leaned back in his chair. "Well, that doesn't make me feel better, knowing you are thinking about someone else when I am making a fool out of me trying to impress you with my sense of humor."

Khushi laughed as she turned her chair towards right so that she was able to look at Arnav fully.

"Someone once told me that you are comfortable with a person only when you can without embarrassment share joke about sh!t with them."

Arnav scrunched his nose. "That..." he dragged. "That oddly makes sense to me."

Khushi shrugged. "So it means we are comfortable with each other and you don't have to put your undetectable sense of humour to test."

"I am taking personal offense on that statement, Khushi." Arnav said offended. "Have I not made you laugh?"

Khushi made a thoughtful face. "Have you?" Arnav wanted to smile at how carefree and young she looked while making that childlike face, but decided to hold his ground and not to make her conscious.

"You may have." Khushi declared. "But definitely not with your sense of humour."

"Then?"

"I don't know. Maybe just by being who you are."

"Is that a compliment?" asked Arnav suspiciously

"It is."

He smirked. "In that case, you are welcome."

Khushi savoured the setting. There was something very personal and intimate about a hotel room. It gave you the feel of domesticity at the same time there was an aura of scandal that makes your heartbeat rise. Her main reason to insist on staying in a room, albeit in a hotel doing nothing, is that she wanted to play house with Arnav. That must be the silliest idea her mind had conjured in over a decade, but she couldn't help when it was Arnav.