Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Arnav sat on the couch crossing his arms with a scowl set on his face. He looked at Khushi putting away his clothes in the washing machine while his mother hovered over her shoulder overtly checking if Khushi was doing her job right.

Arnav's parents, Radha and Manohar were in the city to attend a function. Though the function was only in the evening, Radha wanted to come early and spend time at Arnav's house. That way she can not only get a share of her son who she misses terribly, but also make sure he is eating well and living in a hygienic surrounding. Knowing Arnav, Radha was sure he can eat junk for a week straight and live between the piles his unwashed clothes create.

Arnav was the last one to be made aware of the visit as his mother was sure that his reply would have only been, "Today? Of all the days, you choose the day I have an important meeting?"

It was no coincidence that Arnav has life changing meetings only when his parents decide to visit him. Radha being the typical Indian mother she is, waves off his melodrama about busy professional life and does what she is best at, mothering.

Arnav was anxious ever since he received the call. His ex wife Tanisha was always at loggerheads with his mother the reason for which no one knew. So, his mother's visit was nothing but sure shot at fight between them. It has become a habit of sort for Arnav to make an excuse when his mother says she wants to visit him. As the saying goes that habits are hard to kill, even today, Arnav couldn't help but instinctively veto his mother's plan to visit.

"My mother is going to visit today." He called Khushi as soon as his call with his mother was cut.

"So?" asked a nonchalant Khushi. "Do you want me to cook any special lunch?"

"No."

"Do you want me to buy anything on my way?"

"No"

"Okay. Then why are you saying this to me?"

Arnav didn't know the answer. His mother was coming to his house. There is no reason for him to inform the same to Khushi.

The rumpus Tanisha would create about cooking extra, cleaning extra, making house look spotless to save taunts by his mother has been embedded in his bones so deep that he felt as if he was obliged to inform Khushi who is like the caretaker of the house.

'She is the house help. Not your wife, stupid. Why would she care if your mother visits?'

Once the unnecessary anxiety that Arnav only bought upon himself because of practice wore off, he relaxed waiting for his mother's arrival.

After Radha's initial complain about Arnav's tired eyes, unruly beard and lousy lifestyle, she began going around the house finding faults that she could reprimand the new house help with.

"The carpets have stain. Is she even cleaning it?'

"Are the cupboard corners even dusted?"

"You must be lenient, I bet. Look at the clothes not properly ironed."

"The drapes! When were the last washed? I am sure you are overpaying her."

Arnav was used to the taunts about his looks, house, attitude, work style and life in general. Complaining incessantly and proving that he is doing something wrong with him is his mother's way of telling him that he needs a better half to make his life complete and worth living. Arnav has once fallen for the same technique and learned a lesson for life. He is not going to be trapped again.

Arnav just let his mother dissent whatever she wanted while he sat beside his father discussing first world problems. It was easy to satisfy his dad at least. He just has to be informed about everyday news.