X

Today I'm gonna tell you a little story about how I'm full of shit. Delicately divided into three parts for your enjoyment.

It's pretty much all the same, the only thing that changes is the person.

Alex.

Josh.

Let's start with the first part, shall we? Which is called:

Confusion.

Before the nuke, my life was as normal and sad as any random teenager would have it. I was a student with good parents who didn't really understand me, but they tried. A sibling, friends, likings and feelings. It was the latter what caused me trouble.

Alex and I met in elementary school. He sat down next to me and we shared our undying love for Adventure Time and Treasure Planet. During years our friendship consisted on knowing all of our embarrassing stories, coping our answers on every test and a bunch of firsts. He was there when I got my first period, and I witnessed Alex's first drunken night with friends.

It was when I talked to Maya that everything kind of started to fall apart.

———————————————-

My ears are buzzing, I feel my eyes dry and irritated. I know I passed out although I don't feel like I slept, if anything, I'm more tired than before. I try to push myself up but my wrist hurts and I'm not strong enough. I fall against a thin pillow and only then I look around.

There's nothing but cages with teens, I recognize some from school. Judging by the smell, we are in Hoyles' fabric. I was right, this was Baron Triumph's home.

My hand pulsates as a reminder of how screwed I am.

'Is it broken or is it just sprained?' The light sucks in here, I can't really tell how it looks so I inhale sharply, 'Okay, then...'

I move my wrist slowly to one side and then the other. I feel pain, lots of pain. But I can move it, so chances are is not broken. As long as I don't move, I'll be fine. I struggle to sit with only one hand as support and notice my skates are missing and my knee has a huge bruise on it.

I know I'll die.

——————————————-

We were thirteen at the moment. It wasn't like I knew right away that I liked Alex, I just got slightly upset every time he would hold hands with Amy and sad whenever he would cancel plans to hang out with her. You can imagine how betrayed I felt.

"You're just jealous," Maya sighs, laying upside down on my bed.

"Of who?" I ask in amusement, "I already told you, I don't want a boyfriend."

"You want Alex."

I laugh, kicking her leg playfully.

"That's a lie. And dumb," I reply matter-of-factly, "he's just my friend!"

"Exactly. Please, you're too shy to admit you like him but we all know."

"Liar," I sing, "Alex and Amy are cute together and all, just annoys me that he doesn't want to spend more time with us."

"That doesn't sound like you're crushing at all," She rolls her eyes, smirking.

"Shut up!" I complain, "that doesn't mean I like him!"

It didn't... right? I started to recapitulate all of our time together. Alex was a great boy. He was good to me and my family loved him, why was so weird to consider him as a possible love interest? Maybe Maya was right. I did like him and this was my way cope with it.