XX

"I'm gonna let this world die," I hear my friend gasp, "I yearn for the sweet release of death"

"You can die once we reach the school," I grunt, skating faster.

Alex and I used to be very active people, but with the nuke our physical condition has self-induced into a coma.

It all right though! I'm running on spite and love, it'll keep me active enough to reach the Highschool on time.

Unfortunately, Alex is only running out of patience.

"You know," He wheezes, "if it wasn't for you, starcrossed losers, I would be in the mattress store having my healthy eight hours of sleep!"

"It'd be like that sometimes," I reply, "stop talking before you pass out."

You wanna know how I feel?

You guessed it! I'm McFreaking out.

But Alex's comment reminds me of something, and it's that I haven't added songs to the soundtrack of my life! What a terrible narrator I am.

Allow me to introduce you not only to the next song of our list, but also the one that gave this story its iconic title.

Things have changed since the first time we met back in that alley, huh?

I was a loner, you were... uh, living your life, I guess. Being a good member of society.

"It started out as nothing in the strangest sense
He was never in his right mind, no defense
She prayed for his attention, often on repeat
Every time she heard his name and his heartbeat"

Josh was alone and hurting, not knowing how to express his feelings and just hiding all inside.

Never do that kids look how it ends, with you painting an apology all over the neighborhood. And I mean all of it. The phrase is not the same as the one outside my house, these ones say 'I'm with you', 'Where are you?' and 'I'm sorry' not the same but it gives out the same vibes.

It seems that ever since I cured Josh's hand, all we've done is to play this game of jumping back and forth in our boundaries, throwing our bones at the wrong times.

"He was in denial in his own backyard
Pleading for the rain just to come down hard
She bought him a bracelet and put it on his wrist
Like every time before she got close but missed"

"By the time we reach the school it'll be too late, you know that, right?"

"The School," I reply, breathing heavily, "has to be saved. We can't let it rot in hands of someone like Triumph, he's gross!"

"We're gross," Alex grimaces, "I stink, and now we're sweating like pigs. Imma smell like a Ghoulie."

"Pigs don't sweat," I say simply.

It takes us another half an hour to arrive, we're on time. I'm just thankful that Alex could hold on for so long, he's almost fainting.

"Okay, we can take a break," I say as I watch him lose all color from his face, "you want water...?"

"I need to sit down..."

I hear noises in the distance and I see Triumph arriving at school.

Only this time he's with someone. I'm glad to see them, it means we can still help.

It's my favorite knock-off Triumph and stupid Josh.

"Alex, do you mind if I leave you for a second? Josh and Eli are over there-"