XIII

Wesley managed to thrill everyone with the dance and now they're all helping with the decoration and the stage, which means the pharmacy is all alone cause the kids are too busy to try stupid dares that will harm them and that's great for me, it means I finally have precious, beautiful free time to rest my wrist properly.

I'm sitting on the garden chair next to Wesley and Josh, above the beds where we usually sleep. Wesley has a tablet on his hands and is selecting songs for the playlist.

Josh and I are chatting about nothing and everything, it's been two days since we had time to talk and... actually, I think we've only had time to talk like one or two times before everything exploded in our faces. Which is not a lot, but it's enough to make us feel comfortable around each other.

More than comfortable in my case.

"You have any plans for the dance?"

"Like what?"

"Like wearing crazy outfits for the occasion," Josh insinuates with a little smirk.

"The correct term is cool, not crazy," I stick out my tongue, "no, I don't have anything in mind. Why, you got some ideas?"

"I'm not really good with clothes," He squints, "but I'm sure that whatever you choose to wear will look nice, everything looks nice on you"

"Okay..." I'm unsure of how to reply without crossing a line, I suck at it, so I just end with: "Thanks"

"I-I mean..." Josh suddenly changes his demeanor, like he didn't mean to say what he'd said, "Not that I'm being weird, it's just true. You look good, you're... nice?"

I frown, understanding zero shit of what he was trying to say. I laugh it off and start to play with the bandages on my own hand, messing them up. Josh chuckles lightly and reaches for the loose part of the bandage, fixing it for me.

"So..." Josh speaks up tilting his face a little to the right, now talking to Wesley, "Which are you gonna choose?"

I lean my head so I can see Wes over Josh's shoulder. He takes longer than expected, raising his head with a funny expression on his face.

"Choose?"

Josh chuckles and finishes up, gently letting go of my wrist he turns around to see our friend.

"Songs!" He points towards the tablet, "For the homecoming dance playlist?"

"This is no mere playlist," He replies, finally going back to his normal self, "this is no mere homecoming dance do-over."

He jumps off the platform with Josh going next and landing on the bed. I stand up from the garden chair as well and I stop for a second, stabilizing my body so I can sit on the edge and then jump with the impulse my healthy hand can give me.

I see Josh, waiting in case I need help. I think that's sweet, but luckily I'm able to do it on my own and he looks really satisfied when I rush over to where they are.

"We rescued these kids from Baron Triumph," Wesley continues, "this is a Saturnalia to the wonder of life, drinking from the water fountain of youth..."

I laugh under my breath and Josh discretely nudges my arm so I cut it out.

"Tonight, we stare the Grim Reaper in the face and we say," he raises his left hand as he speaks, "if you like it then you should've put a ring on it"

I laugh again, this time Josh and Wes do it too.

"This is the soundtrack of our lives!" Wesley exclaims, taking a drag of his cigarette.