XVI

KJ is a fucking genius.

She knows things I didn't even know were a thing, the info currency? Why would someone need those?

Then I thought about our situation and I went 'Oh, that's why'.

We have to cross half of the town to get to where we could find someone who could talk to a member of Turbo's tribe. You better be sure I brought my skates and Katie with me (I named my hammer after my sister, you know, it helps me cope... sort of).

That also means we have to cross different tribe's territories. The shortest road is through the uh, cowboys tribe thing... 4-H? I just realized how I said I know every inch of the city, I do, but the people in it? Not so much.

Tribes have expanded, I know the basic ones: Cheeramazons, Jocks, and the derivatives of the jocks. I know somewhere there are gamers, the cowboys and Kardashian... I know I'm missing lots and lots but is not really a big deal, I'm just a girl, I don't have to know everything.

Anyway, 4-H accepts the food and allow us to go through their territory, fifteen minutes later we found ourselves on a narrow alley, in front of us there's a big trailer box with videogames characters drawn all over it.

KJ knocks on it with a rock and a small compartment opens, a crossbow points directly to KJ's head and we jump back.

The person inside speaks but I don't understand what they say, KJ answers back and after a few, scary seconds, the crossbow disappears.

"That wasn't Chinese," says Josh.

"It's Dothraki," She answers simply, "I also know Na'vi, Elvish and a little Hebrew."

She looks over her shoulder and shrugs.

"The JCC had a good preschool."

Josh grins, clearly impressed by the girl's abilities. I'm... astonished, to say the least. This girl is a box of surprises all around.

So the gate opens and KJ is the first one to enter, then me, then Josh. The room is dark and we can only see the helmet of the person in front of us. They slap KJ across the face and I gasp.

"You've got some nerve KJ, after the shit you pulled in Frogtown," Says the person in a somehow robotic voice.

When they take off the helmet, I recognize the girl.

There's a silence before KJ and her laugh, high fiving each other.

"Meet Aria Killigan and her elite strikeforce, The Game Overs."

"I know who she is," I tilt my head, smirking, "this is what you ended up doing after leaving?"

"Y/N?" Aria gives me a half-smile, "What are you doing with KJ?"

Aria and I weren't the closest friends, but she used to sit with us during lunch and she'd spend the whole time fighting with Alex about crazy Star Wars theories. She was the one who introduced Stuart to us.

I remember her as a sharp, fun person. When the apocalypse happened she stayed with us a few days and one morning she was gone without explanation, I never heard from her again.

Until now, of course.

Inside there are three kids that were usually with her during free hours, playing on their phones. Unfortunately, I never learned any of their names, I don't think they care, though. They didn't even turn to look at us as we got in.

"These are assassins?" I hear Josh behind me, asking in what it sounds a skeptical tone, "You play videogames"

"We're combat-ready unit. Check out our Ghoulie kill-count," She points to a bunch of pictures of celebrities.