𝐕𝐈

CONNIE and Jocelyn sat perched against her car behind the school lot. Their presence was concealed by a massive oak tree and thick green foliage.

"You're going to get kicked off the squad if they catch you smoking," Jocelyn said as she accepted her cigarette back after Connie's long puff.

"I don't care anymore," Connie said as she exhaled into the wind. "Uuurrggg! Tom is driving me crazy!"

It was a conversation they'd been dancing around all morning. Connie was having a hard time bringing herself to the realization that she was obsessing over Tom – a point that Jocelyn had stated several times.

"This is so weird." Jocelyn began. "Tom has literally been trailing after you for years, now you're all hot and bothered about him and he's moving on."

Connie turned towards Jocelyn fiercely. "Moving on? What do you mean he's moving on? Who said he was moving on? Did Tom tell you that? Did you see him with someone? Who is she? What does she look like?"

Jocelyn looked at Connie in horror for a moment before she began cracking up laughing. "Oh my gosh, Connie. You should hear yourself! Seriously…are you high?"

At this, Connie buried her face in her hands. "What is wrong with me?" she yelled in anguish. "A couple weeks ago everything was fine. Tom was just Tom and all was well. Now he's TOM…I can't seem to get him off my mind. I want off this roller coaster ride."

The tables had turned and Jocelyn vaguely realized that she now understood the bored looks that had always plagued Connie's face when Jocelyn had droned on and on over Harry. But this situation was not as tragic. If Jocelyn allowed herself to admit it, Connie's attainment of Tom was much easier than Jocelyn's attainment of Harry. Harry was like a lion that wouldn't be caged. Tom, on the other hand, was a puppy dog.

"We should all go out tonight," Jocelyn changed the subject. "You, me, Tom and Harry. Just like old times. It's been a long time since we've all hung out."

At the mention of Tom, Connie was immediately on board. "Where should we go? It's a school night."

"My friend Nico is having a party. He wouldn't care if we crashed. His cousin's a DJ downtown, so it should be good."

"Sounds good. Just let me know the details after you talk to everyone." Connie said. Her words were code for: let me know if Tom is coming.

* * *

When Harry saw Tom stealing casual glances towards Connie's locker, he immediately rolled his eyes.

"Still whipped, I see," Harry said, catching Tom off-guard.

At Harry's comment, Tom immediately reached in his pocket and pulled out his phone. He held it up for Harry to see.

"Fourteen messages. All from Connie. Now who's whipped?" Tom grinned.

"Who has a stalker, you mean." Harry snorted. "Did you call her back?"

"Nope."

"Good man," Harry smirked.

"The thing I don't understand is if acting like this gets Connie to get back with me, when do I get to stop acting like…well…you? I mean, I am not going to act like a dick to my girlfriend. Besides, I want to talk to Connie. It's hard not calling her back."

"Tom, quit whining." Harry said. "And all you have to do is talk to another girl. Let Connie see, she'll get jealous, she'll confront you, you tell her she can't have it both ways and viola! You've got her. You're done."

Tom opened his mouth to protest but closed it when he saw that Harry wasn't really paying much attention to him. Again his eyes were scouring campus for something…or someone.