𝐗𝐗𝐕

TOM lounged casually on Connie's lightly colored bedspread as she sat at her laptop adding songs to each of their phones.

"Nate just said that Twisted Ale is playing at U-Dub tomorrow night. Road trip?" Tom suggested.

Connie scoffed from where she sat. "I'm not driving nearly four hours for Twisted Ale. They're not even that good. Their new drummer sucks." She spun around to face Tom. "Besides, Bree has the house to herself for three whole days. We have plans."

"Plans for what?" Tom sat up in interest.

"Plans that don't include spending all of our parent-free time in a car." Connie said as she flipped through her song choices on the screen.

"Am I invited?" Tom asked.

"As long as you don't invite Harry," Tom uttered his name in contempt.

"You shouldn't be so hard on Harry."

"Why shouldn't I? The guy's a complete loser and an asshole. He doesn't care about Bree—"

"That's where you're wrong. He most certainly cares about Bree."

Connie rolled her eyes, finally focusing her attention from the computer screen onto Tom. "Surely he doesn't have you fooled, too?"

"Fooled?"

"Harry doesn't care about anyone but himself."

"Harry cares about Bree."

"How can you say that? Look what he did to her! You don't screw over people you care about."

"Hmm…really?"

Tom immediately regretted his words as soon as he'd uttered them. He saw Connie's body stiffen before her shoulders slumped in emotional defeat.

"Thanks a lot, Tom." She whispered.

"No, baby, I'm not…" Tom was on his feet in seconds. He went to Connie and wrapped his arms around her. "I'm not saying you're a bad person."

"That's exactly what you're saying. Comparing me to Harry? Really, Tom? That's pretty low." Connie was on the verge of tears.

"All I'm saying is that of anyone, I'd expect you to understand that you can still care about someone and make a mistake."

"And you think that's all Harry did? Made a mistake?"

"Yeah. Why is that so hard for you to believe?"

"Because there is no evidence to support what you're saying. There is, however, ample evidence to back up what I'm saying."

"How about because he told me how he feels about her?"

Connie looked back blankly at her computer screen, not really listening to Tom and anymore of his pro-Harry spiel.

"I'm not like Harry. I'm not." She whispered, more to herself than Tom.

Tom shifted so that he was sitting comfortably on the floor in front of Connie. "I know you don't like him, and I'm not asking you to. But, aside from my family, you and Harry are the two most important people in my life. I love you both and I know you both, really well. It's how I knew that you and I could work things out, regardless of people telling me I shouldn't bother. And it's how I know that Bree is different for Harry. He really cares, Connie."

Connie was quiet for a long while and Tom was sure he had gotten through to her; sure she was considering Harry in a new light.

"I really like Bree. And I don't think Harry is right for her. Even if he doesn't know it, I think she does." Connie finally said.