𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

THE door to Desmond's office was slightly ajar, but instead of peer inside, Harry rapped loudly on the jamb.

"Come in," Desmond's voice wafted through the crevice. His chair made a soft screeching sound as he rolled slightly away from his desk and sat back to casually accept whomever bid entry.

Harry stepped inside and took stance behind one of the guest chairs, leaning his weight against it for support.

"I need a favor." He began.

"Okay," Desmond looked quizzically amused.

"So, you know how on some TV shows, the parents tell their kids that they can have one 'no-questions-asked freebie?" Harry began.

"Sort of like a Get Out of Jail Free Card?" Desmond played along.

"Right," Harry stood up straight. "I was wondering if I could get one of those."

"So if I'm hearing you correctly, you want me to allow you to do something without knowing how or why?" Desmond frowned.

"No, nothing like that. I just want you to let me do something that you normally wouldn't let me do." Harry grinned manipulatively.

"Just cut to the chase, Harry. What do you want?" Desmond sighed.

"I want to go to Bree's," Harry stated in one breath.

"And…?" Desmond pressed for more detail.

"And I didn't go to school today." Harry came clean.

Desmond sat back and shook his head. "Sorry, Harry. You know the rules. No school, no exceptions."

"Aarrgh! Dad, come on!" Harry exhaled in anguish. "You have no idea what I've been through…I have to see Bree. Today."

Desmond sat silent for a moment, wondering if Harry had realized he'd called him 'Dad', and if so, was it all a part of Harry's plan to get what he wanted?

Desmond took a brief moment to look over the young man standing before him. Harry looked tired, but there was a rare fire burning in his eyes, a motivating catalyst, that Desmond had rarely seen. Harry was excited about something.

"Bree, huh?" Desmond treaded. "You two work out your differences?"

"We're trying to," Harry leaned forward, on edge for Desmond's final answer.

"I want to get something straight with you," Desmond put on his best fatherly voice, "I'm only letting you go because—"

"Yes!" Harry interrupted in celebratory exuberance.

"Hold on a minute, Harry," Desmond held up his hand. "I want to tell you why I'm going to let you break the rules this one time." He paused for effect. "First of all, because you asked. Second, because you've been working very hard lately, and I think you should be rewarded. And lastly, because I think Bree is a nice girl." And maybe a little bit because you called me 'Dad'.

* * *

Connie pulled to a stop in the Hanson driveway and put her car in park. Bree hesitated a moment before she stepped out of the low-riding vehicle, her hand resting against the window.

"Um, Connie…" she started.

Connie held up her hand to silence Bree. "Don't worry. I'm just coming inside to get my stuff and then I'll be on my way."

Bree laughed. "How did you know what I was going to say?"

"Because you've had Harry-eyes all afternoon. Am I wrong in assuming that he's on his way over here?"