𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

thirteen months later

BREE hung back and watched the emotional moment as it unfolded before her. It wasn't unique by any standards. All around, mother and daughters, fathers and sons were embracing, and celebrating an American rite of passage. But four people knew the extreme significance of that passage for one particular Lockridge Falls High School senior.

Feeling like an uninvited spectator, Bree watched a sobbing Anne cling to Harry, while over and over telling him that she'd never lost faith in him and that she knew he could do it. When Desmond stepped forward with tearful eyes to shake his son's hand, before grabbing him and pulling him into a firm embrace, Bree swiped at the tears that had begun to form in her own eyes. Slowly, she turned away to grant the Styles' this private moment of accomplishment. She and Harry would celebrate later; right now, it was their time.

As she sought to distance herself, Bree noticed Tom and Connie a few feet away. In slack-jawed awe, Bree watched as Tom's mother released her son before turning to hold Connie in a congratulatory embrace. Connie's face registered shock for a moment, but then she quickly recovered and returned the motion.

Bree noticed the buoyant exuberance in Connie's eyes dull as something in the distance caught her eye. Bree turned to see that Jocelyn was sitting in the bleachers watching the festivities, having chosen not to graduate with her class.

"Maybe you should go talk to her," Bree walked up, unnoticed by Connie until she was directly in front of her.

Connie shook her head slowly, the expression on her face not really matching the emotion contained in her eyes. "You know..." Connie shook her head as if she were abandoning a previous train of thought. "My dad used to always eat this dessert called a moon pie. Have you ever heard of those?" When Bree indicated that she hadn't, Connie continued. "They're made with chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows. Anyway, I'm allergic to graham crackers, but every once in awhile I'd want a moon pie so bad that I'd go snag one from the pantry and eat it. Then I'd spend the rest of the night running from my bed to the bathroom, sicker than a dog."

"They must have been really good," Bree said, confused amusement written all over her face.

"You know how little kids don't really understand that just because they crave something, that doesn't mean they should have it?" Connie met Bree's gaze then, and her expression finally matched the emotion she was giving off. "I'm all grown up now, Bree - I'm an adult. And I can't keep giving in to something that is so bad for me, even if I crave it every once in awhile. You know?"

Bree nodded her understanding. "Yeah." And when she turned to look at Jocelyn again, she was met with an empty space where her presence had been.

A light wind changed direction, sending Bree's hair aimlessly into her field of vision. When she turned her head to clear it from her face, she noticed her parents; mother and father marching mercilessly through the crowd.

"That's my girl!" Christie yelled boisterously - giving all spectators their cue to realize that she was a caring and devoted mother.

Johnny quietly waited his turn as he watched his daughter and her mother interact in a way he was much too uncomfortable to engage in. Finally Bree stepped before him and he offered her a slight smile and an awkward pat on the back before he asked her the same question he'd been asking her for nearly a year.

"Are you sure about all this, Bree?"

Bree rolled her eyes and played her part in the charade. "Yes, Dad. I'm sure."

Christie, not really understanding that it was just their way of solidifying their impending goodbye, poked in on their moment and ruined it.

"Johnny, leave her alone. Of course she's sure. Bree's no dummy," she smiled at Bree as if to say 'See? I'm on your side'.