42

**Eight Months Later**

Jeongguk sat down and he sat Mirae on his lap. 

"Happy birthday, princess." Jeongguk kisses her cheeks and she lets out a fit of giggles.

"Mama." She coos and Jeongguk smiles.

"Mama's here, darling." Jeongguk hugs his daughter before Jaewon walks into the room.

"How's the birthday girl?" Jaewon asks and Mirae babbles nonsense.

"Same, kid," Jaewon responds and Jeongguk laughs.

"So, what time is everyone coming?" Jaewon asks.

"Around 2. They're only staying for an hour or so. I don't want to overwhelm her." Jeongguk answers and Jaewon nods.

"And what about Taehyung? Is he coming?" Jaewon asks with pure distaste in his voice.

"Jae, it's his daughter's birthday, I can't keep him from seeing her. As much as I don't like him." Jeongguk says and Jaewon rolls his eyes.

"Why do you keep telling yourself that? I mean, I hate him but you, you love him." Jaewon says and Jeongguk scowls.

"No, I don't," Jeongguk says and Jaewon sighs.

"Sure, Jeongguk. Sure." He mumbles while walking into the kitchen.

It wasn't long before everyone started arriving. Tae-Seol stole Mirae away from everyone and Jeongguk caught up with the rest of his friends. The last person to arrive was Taehyung. Jeongguk opened the door and the smile he was wearing was immediately wiped away.

"Your sister has Mirae. They're in the living room." Jeongguk walks away and Taehyung sighs heavily before entering the house. He heads into the living room where Tae-Seol and Mirae were playing.

"I saw your interaction at the door," Tae-Seol says andTaehyung groans.

"I've never felt more awkward. Anyway, today isn't about me and Jeongguk. It's about my daughter." Taehyung says as he hugs her.

"Happy birthday!" He pulls out of the hug and she gives him a big smile.

Jeongguk and Yoongi were talking in the kitchen.

"So, how are you feeling?" Yoongi asks and Jeongguk smiles at him.

"Great. It's been so long since I've felt this good." Jeongguk says and Yoongi hugs him.

"That's great, Jeongguk. I'm happy for you." Yoongi says as he pulls out of the hug.

"Honestly, I wouldn't have been able to get out of my head if it weren't for you. Thank you. And Hobi." Jeongguk says and Yoongi smiles.

"I'm just glad I was able to help."

Everyone gathered at the kitchen table to sing happy birthday to Mirae. It was such a nice scene, they even got a picture with both parents. After that everyone headed back into the living room while Jeongguk made tea and coffee.

"Do you need any help?" Jeongguk turns to see Taehyung standing in the doorway. He sighs before answering.

"Sure. Here, you fix up the coffee." Jeongguk places the cups on the table in front of Taehyung.

"You gave me an extra cup." Taehyung says and Jeongguk recounts the cups.

"No, I didn't. The extra one is for me." Jeongguk says and Taehyung felt confused.

"I thought that you didn't drink coffee." Taehyung asks and Jeongguk sighs.

"I have been for the past few months." Jeongguk says and Taehyung nods.

"Okay, nice." Taehyung says and Jeongguk turns to face him.

"Why are you making conversation with me? I thought I made it clear that I didn't want to talk to you." Jeongguk asks and Taehyung frowns.

"You did. I just thought that-" Jeongguk cut him off.

"You thought wrong. Now, stop." He takes the tea into the living room.

"Fuck." Taehyung mutters to himself.

"You shouldn't really be cursing at your one-year-old's birthday but hey, you do you." Jimin walks into the kitchen and Taehyung laughs at his remark.

"I can see that he's still not talking to you." Jimin then says and Taehyung scoffs.

"Yeah."

"Keep trying. Let him know that all you want is to be civilised. That's all you want. Nothing more. Even if you do want something more, don't mention it. Just say that you at least want to be on speaking terms." Jimin says and Taehyung nods.

"Okay. I'll keep trying." Taehyung says and Jimin smiles.

"Great. Now, let's bring in the coffee."

Soon enough, the party was over and everyone started heading home. Tae-Seol was saying goodbye to Mirae when Taehyung stood beside Jeongguk.

"Is there something you want to say?" Jeongguk asks.

"Yeah, I just wanted to-"

"Is it about Mirae?" Jeongguk asks, cutting Taehyung off.

"Not really. I wanted-"

"Then I don't care." Jeongguk begins to walk away but Taehyung grabs his hand.

"Wait. Just please, listen to what I have to say. If you don't agree then fine but the least you could do is listen." Taehyung says and Jeongguk sighs.

"Fine. But let me go first." Taehyung does as he's told.

"What is it?" Jeongguk demands and Taehyung swallows hard.

"I know that you don't like me and that I'm an idiot who messed up our relationship but do you think we could at least try to be civilised? Not for me or for you. But for her." Taehyung points at their daughter.

"I just don't want her to grow up knowing that you hate me." Taehyung says and Jeongguk sighs as he looks away from Taehyung.

"I don't hate you." Jeongguk says and Taehyung's eyes go wide.

"What?" Taehyung was shocked. He thought he really pushed the limit this time.

"You heard me. But that doesn't mean that I forgive you. What you did cut deep. It hurt...still does sometimes." Jeongguk says as he avoids eye-contact.

"I know. And Jeongguk, I'm really sorry. Do you think we could at least be friends?" Taehyung asks and Jeongguk hesitates.

"Sure. We can be friends." Jeongguk says and Taehyung smiles as he sighs in relief.

"Thank god."

"And maybe," Jeongguk begins and Taehyung looks at him again, "maybe, our relationship could develop. Don't get your hopes up though. Right now, neither of us are ready for that kind of commitment. But maybe in a few years, if the feelings are still there, something might happen. But as for right now, we're friends, nothing more." Jeongguk says and Taehyung nods.

"Can I hug you?" Taehyung asks and Jeongguk nods.

"Yeah. You can hug me."