Chapter 2: Cato POV

Authors note: Okay, so I'm going to have Cato POV'S throughout the story so guys can understand what's going on in  his head.  So give me some input on how I did.  

Enjoy :)

 Enobaria turns on the TV.  "It's time to watch the recaps" she says.

"Yes!  I love seeing who the weaklings are" Clove says enthusiastically.  I roll my eyes at Clove.  I was surprised at how excited she was to kill.  I was chosen to train with her since I could handle a sword, but she had never acted like she actually liked training with me.  Since day one we had become friends and we knew each other’s weakness, which make us a stronger unit.  We had made a plan to make it to the end, but I don't want to kill her, and I probably couldn't.  She is the closest thing I ever had to a friend, but in order for me to win and come home, she must die.  And is that something I am willing to sacrifice?  I had admit I was looking forward to seeing the weaker competitors too.

District 1's boy was smaller than me in height and muscle, which is good because I don't want some of my careers thinking they can kill me or take me out of my pack.  His name is Marvel or Marble, something like that, I don't really give a damn.  The girl tribute, Glimmer, is pretty hot.

District 3's tributes looked like career potential, but I had pretty much lost interest during the recaps for District 5, 6,7,8,9 and 10.  There was no potential in any of those tributes.  They were as good as dead.  Though District 11's boy tribute, Thresh, was huge.  He could be a big problem.

“We should ask him to join us.  He looks like he could do some damage.“ Clove points out to me.  I nod in agreement.

Then came District 12, the poorest District.  There is never any real competition in those tributes.  More like easy kills to me.  They have only had two tributes that have won out of the 73 years the Hunger Games have been going on.  One is dead and the other is a stupid drunk who probably doesn't even remember his name half of the time.  Enobaria had shown us past Hunger Game tapes and Haymitch, well, he got lucky in his games.

Effie, District 12's idiotic escort steps up to the stage. I almost feel bad for the pathetic excuse for tributes that 12 gives... Effie seems like a handful.

“Welcome.  Welcome to the 74th Annual Hunger Games.  Today we will honor one courageous man and woman to represent District 12 in this years Hunger Games." she claps, half-expecting them to clap too.  The camera changes to the crowd of skinny people just staring at her.  I laugh with Clove and Enobaria.

"God she is an idiot. The Capitol's finest." Enobaria states-matter-of-factly.

My jaw drops at this comment.  You’re not supposed to think bad about the Capitol, let alone say it out loud.  Enobaria acts as if she didn't say anything and says “What Cato?"   I turn my head back to the TV not wanting to get into a further conversation with her.

"Well then, may the odds be ever in your favor! Ladies first!" She continued as she swirls her hand around in the ladies bowl.  She pulls out a slip and walks back over to the microphone.  It is dead silent. Not that it was noisy before, but I bet someone could hear a pin drop. 

"Primrose Everdeen!"  Effie shouts into the microphone.  The crowd gasp and looks angry.  I frown, not understanding why, until I see the tiny little Blonde girl walking to the stage. It is obvious that this is her first year being entered into the Hunger Games.

“Oohhhhhh I get shrimp in the arena!" Clove says happily. I don't care who I get but Blondie is going to be any easy kill not matter which way you look at it.

“NOOO! PRIM! PRIM." A brunette calls for Blondie. I get confused as the girl pushed through the crowed, the peacekeepers trying to push her back. Who the hell is this chick? I wonder.

“I volunteer!! I volunteer as tribute!!" She screams pushing through the peacekeepers running to Blondie.

I gasp in unison with Clove, Enobaria and the rest of District 12. That's their first ever volunteer. Who is that girl?

Clove rewinds the TV as if she wondering if she heard correctly.

“Well, well, look at what we have here!" Effie says excitedly. “District 12's first volunteer!"

"KATNISS NOOO! YOU CAN'T KATNISS!" Blondie cries.

"Let go Prim. Go find mom." Katniss struggles to get blondie off when the do a close up on Katniss.

She is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my life. Her silver piercing eyes, her small but curvy frame. Her braided hair. She is amazing.

Then this guy probably seventeen or eighteen lifts blonde up as she is punching and kicking him when he says “up you go, catnip." I wondered if He is her boyfriend or something. I would be surprised if she was single.

"Come on young lady. Tell us your name." Effie demands enthusiastically. Katniss walks over to the microphone.

"Go on dearie. It won't bite!" Effie laughs and I got this strong urge to punch Effie for insulting Katniss. Where the hell did that come from? Why would I care if Effie insults the fragile looking girl?

“K-Katniss Everdeen." she stutters. Her voice giving me Goosebumps, it sounded like bells, very attractive. What the hell. I'm going to have to kill her in the arena. I can't go soft on her. But I knew in that instant I wouldn't be able to kill her.

 I tell Clove and Enobaria, who are still shocked and talking about how exciting the games will be, that I'm going to bed after seeing that it was eleven thirty pm. They are right. It is going to be a very interesting year for the Hunger Games and Ms. Everdeen is a big reason for it. I had fallen asleep that night, thinking of Katniss.