chapter 38

Authors note: I didn't like the last chapter too much. I think it all went a little to fast and it was short. So I'll make it up to you guys with this one!

You guys hit the mark for Cato pov but I had started this awhile back. I would have updated yesterday.... but life got in the way lol

Guys I really appreciate all the comments, votes, and fans I have gotten from all of you. It means a lot! I'm glad you guys have enjoyed my story. Im positive this and the next Cato pov will be the end of this story. I will put up an Epilogue after the next two chapters. I will be putting out the sequel very soon so don't forget about it!

Enjoy. :))

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

I grab Cato's hand as we leave Rue covered in flowers, to be picked up by the hover craft. I notice Cato limping. I look down at his leg. A large wound from I guess Thresh was making him lose a lot of blood.

"Oh God Cato! Why didn't you say anything? " I exclaim. He shrugs like it's no big deal. I put my hands the sides of his face.

"We are in this together! When something happens to one of us it effects both of us!" He looks at me. His eyes grow wide as my words sunk in. If he dies I die and vise versa. It was only the two of us and Clove left. As we walk I think about how much the gamemakers effected thus game. I'm scared to say that they really hadn't done much at all. We continue to walk more towards the cornucopia but on the other side so we don't encounter Clove. As Cato limps, blood seeping through his clothes I wish haymitch or Cato's mentor sends him something that will help. But nothing comes. His mentor is probably catering to Clove and Haymitch was probably drinking because we both lost Peeta.

As night begins to fall it gets colder. We find shelter in a near by cave. I was glad I still had my jacket but Cato didn't. I told him to wear mine but he refused to. He was weaker and weaker every time I looked at him. He talked less, looked very pail, and sometimes didn't respond to me. Finally after two hours of desperately asking for a parachute out loud one finally comes down. I open it to find healing ointment and a small piece of bread. The little note in it was addressed to me from Haymitch.

" Sorry sweetheart, Peeta..."

I knew I was correct on my earlier assumption. Haymitch went to drink after Peeta died. I shrug, my own little message back to Haymitch and then I open the healing ointment. I look at Cato I was glad Haymitch got to me when he did cause I don't think Cato would have gotten through the night. I spread some all over Cato's wound. I can already see improvements. He has a little more color to his cheeks, he is responding more and his breathing is less raspy. I was beginning to get more comfortable with the idea that there is a very good chance we could both win. I get up and help Cato to his feet. We needed to keep moving. I grab my bow and we leave the cave. Again, we were staying close to the cornucopia. I hear something rattle in the bushes. I ready my bow, walking slowly towards the sound. I hear a growl. I start to get an uneasy feeling about this. I continue towards the sound. I see a pair of glowing red eyes. I take a few steps back.

"......Peeta?..... " I say. Though the eyes were bloodshot they were Peeta's eyes. Where the dead tributes reincarnated into our last test? I wouldn't be able to kill the mutt who had his eyes.

"What is it Katniss? " He asks. If I only knew the answer so I could know how bad whatever this thing is. I see it hinge down low and sprang at me.

"Cato! Run!" I scream as it claws at my face. But why am I not surprised to see that Cato didn't listen to me. I see him back up a few steps and take a full charge into the mutt. The mutt didn't move much but enough for me to get out of it's grasp, grab Cato's hand and run to the cornucopia. We were dodging trees ,only getting minor scratches from the thorns.

"Katniss! Run!" I hear Cato yell. I turn and see the mutt on my tail. We emerge from the bushes, covered in dirt, scratches and sweat. Three mutts were now behind us instead of just one. I wondered were the other two came from. I point at the cornucopia, giving a target to where we needed to run. When we do reach it I spin around to see the mutts closer now.

"Cato give me a lift up onto the cornucopia." He nods as i put my foot into his hand and grab onto the side lifting myself up the rest of the way. I lean over to help pull up Cato.The teeth of a mutt just barley missing him as I struggled to pull him up. I feel someone step up behind me. A silver knife glinting in the moonlight. It was Clove. She pulled me up so I didn't have a way to escape her grasp. I feared for my life as I felt the pressure of the knife on my jugular.

"Don't Clove." Cato says.

"I'm always being told don't do this Clove don't do that. I got enough from my parents and brother, Cato I don't need it from you." Cato looks at me desperately. I shake my head. If I die I don't want him to die to. But once again he doesn't listen and he steps forward. I close my eyes. Please stop Cato. I think. We both don't have to die. A tear escapes from my eyes. Cato sees this and moves forward again. I feel more pressure of her knife on my neck.

"Say goodbye Katniss. " She says. I open my eyes. The last thing I would see would be Cato's face. I could die with that. Clove pulls the knife back and swings it forward. I feel Cato's strong grasp on my arm as he pulls me away from my death blow. He makes sure I am behind him so he is in the middle, between me and Clove. Cato grabs her and punches in my face, making her lose her balance. She falls off the cornucopia into the hungry awaiting mutts. She screams in frustration and takes out knifes trying to fight them off. The mutts started to become to much for her as they start to tear at her clothes and skin. I close my eyes as she screams. She was still alive screaming and howling in pain for almost half an hour. We were hoping that she would have died by now. I started to get dizzy because of the three scrathes on my belly bleed and wouldnt stop. I asked cato to look in the bag to see if the healing cream was in it but he couldnt find it. His leg wound had also reopened. I knew that if we bothe wanted to make it out of her alive together we had to kill clove soon. I look down at Clove and I see her looking at me. She wanted me to take her life. She wanted the paun to be over. At first i didnt want to. She deserved to suffer after everything she did. But i knew time was of the esence and I needed to hurry. I looked at Cato.

"Should I?" I ask. He nods and turns back to watch Clove. I raise my bow, taking an arrow from my quiver. I aim, pull back the arrow and release. Her cannon goes off. I look over to Cato. Who was no longer where he was earlier.

"Cato? Cato!" I scream looking frantically for him. I look below me to see that Cato had fallen down onto the ground. I see the mutts racing towards him. I jump down. I pull an arrow out of the quiver and start shooting at the mutts. It took half of arrows to take sent one and there is eight of them left. I see three more come out from the bushes. I look down to see Cloves knives on the ground. I pick those up flinging them at my nearest target. Why haven't we won yet. We were the last two. What is going on! I manage to take one more down before they reach us. I throw myself on top of Cato to protection him as much as possible. I scream in agony as the mutts gnaw at me. I cry. I cry hard and loud. I cry for prim and my mother, I cry Cato and Gale. I cry for haymitch and district 12 and all the tributes that I killed or got got killed. I cry for Peeta. My boy with the bread. As darkness blurs my vision, I cry as I die.

Authors note: so what did I just do in this chapter? is Cato dead or did he become a victor. Did Katniss die? comment on what you think is going to happen.