chapter 10 cato pov

"Because... I like you Katniss... I don't understand all of my feelings for you....or why.... why I have them for you....but I can't get you out of my head." the words slipping out of my mouth. I look at her. Her mouth opened, shocked her grey eyes scanning my face as if she is waiting for a "just kidding or I got you" but I wasn't kidding. I told her I had feelings for her and I did. When lover boy (I know he has a crush on Katniss I can see it in his eyes) yelled at her for joining me and I could see the tears forming in her eyes, it took all my strength not to crush his head against the cement floor. How could he yell at her like that when she was apologizing? She walked over, closer to me a slammed her little hand down on the table. That's when o knew that it was the perfect time to tell Katniss what has been eating me up inside.

"You like me? Since when?" she asked me. Since the first time I saw you. Half starved, fighting to keep your sister safe. I wanted to just hold you and tell you it was going to be okay.

"Uh, since you.... since you volunteered for Blondie." God damn it! Why couldn't I remember her sister's name? I could see that she didn't like my nickname for her sister.

"Prim." she corrects me looking lost in thought. Yes now I remember, her name was primrose but Katniss called her Prim.

"Yeah and Katniss I like you because you were so brave to volunteer. To be District 12's first volunteer since your District is filled with a bunch of cowards." I say. She is stuck with a bunch of people who couldn't help her out because they are too poor, or selfish with whatever they have, and or too stupid to realize how pure she was. Even when she was scowling or yelling or just angry I could see it. I could see how good she was. I see her lips pout a little when she registers the fact that I had just dejected her District. I instantly wanted to say I'm sorry. But I don't I may like her and I may even be falling in....love...with her but I don't say sorry. Ever.

"Katniss, you're brave and selfless and I wish that there was more people like you in the world. You are better then all of this. Better than the capital, the hunger games, me." I admit to her. Everything I told her was true. I didn't deserve Katniss. She was too good for me. I'm lucky when I get to talk to her.

"I will protect you. I will make sure you make it out alive and back to your family." I was surprised when she took up my offer in joining the careers. Maybe deep down, she liked me too.