Chapter 8

*two days later*

I was over by Peeta as he was painting his hand making it look like the trunk of a tree.

"So I want to know what you think about something." I say slowly. He looks up curiously.

"What is it Katniss? "He asks looking into my eyes. I feel immediately guilty for what I am about to say. Especially since he saved my life, giving me bread.

"So I have been thinking this over in my head and it seems this is the only choice I have in order to make it home to Prim." I start.

"Katniss?" He says. He doesn't like what I am saying and I haven't even got to the worst part yet.

"And I know you want to make it back home to your family. And I know that you are a part of my District but I need to make it home to prim! "I say tears threatening to fall, I feel awful for what I have done. Peeta looked extremely worried by this point.

"What's wrong? What happened- "I cut him off

"I'm... I'm... joining...the careers. Cato asked me to a couple days ago to join but I thought he was just trying to mess with me but this-"

"You're WHAT!? KATNISS YOU CAN'T! THEY ARE LYING TO YOU! THEY ARE JUST GOING TO KILL YOU!" He shouts at me. I feel Cato looking at me now. I haven't told him I was joining him yet but I think the cats out of the bag now. I look at him and he is smirking at Peeta.

"Peeta this is the only way I will get back to Prim....please stop yelling. They won't kill me." I reassure him.

He glares at me. "How on earth do you know Katniss? They can turn against you, you know it's not like they swore that they wouldn't kill each other let alone you." honestly I wasn't sure that they weren't going to kill me but Peeta and I have been targets ever since the night I became the girl on fire. So it seemed like I should join them so I won't be a target.

"Peeta nothing you or Haymitch is going to say will change my choice." 

I say trying to stay calm. "I'm sorry" and I walk away from the boy with the bread over to the table with plant descriptions on it. I slam my fist on the table. Couldn't Peeta see how bad I feel for ditching him for the careers! Why didn't he understand! I could feel his disappointment and betrayal that he felt when I glanced back at him. I caught his eye and all he did was shook his head. Why can't he join the careers too!

"Because he is weak." Cato says reading my expression.

"Get away from me. Just because I joined you doesn't give you the permission to talk to me! You're still a stupid heartless career!" I look away from him.

"Hate to break the news love, but your one now too." He start bitterly.

"I will never be like you. You don't have a heart. You don't care about anything but becoming a Victor. "Why am I even talking to this idiot?

"You don't know me."

"I know that you're from District 2. Automatically a killer, a career, who doesn't care if he has to kill as long as he brings honor back to his district. What else is there to know?" I question.

"Am I wrong?" I ask. When he doesn't respond fast enough I say 

"I thought so." I turn and start to walk away.

"You are wrong." I stop stunned that he said that. I turn around to look at him, his expression is confident and determined.

"I am not some heartless killer. I don't just care about bringing honor back to my District. I have things that I am fighting for!" He admits.

"Ha like what?" I ask him.

"My family, my friends ..." He pauses, gaining confidence. "You. I'm fighting for you to 12." He looks satisfied for saying it to me. I gasp. WHAT!!

"Me? Why?" I say astonished. 

"Because... I like you Katniss... I don't understand all of my feelings for you....or why.... why I have them for you....but I can't get you out of my head." He says looking me straight in the eye. He wasn't lying to me. That was the first time he had ever called me by my name.