Chapter 18- Into Xadia

Callum groaned, looking at his side. "I really need to work on my sword skills."

"No kidding," the elf huffed. "Once we get to Xadia, I'll make sure you get a proper sword and I'll start teaching you."

He smiled at her. "And where would I get a 'proper sword'?"

"My home village," she said as she continued to pack, "Now sit there and wait for the others to get back."

"Callum!"

They both turned at the call as Ezran, Pyrrah, and Corvus returned. Ez ran towards his brother and hugged him. "You're alright!"

"Yeah, that attack really knocked me out for one, but I'm okay now." He rubbed his cheek against the boy's. "But what were you thinking? Running off like that?"

"I needed some time to think," he sighed, "I... I know about my dad."

The dragon lowered his head a little. "Ez, I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I... I feared... I feared losing you."

"Callum, you're my brother. You'll never lose me."

He smiled, then nuzzled him again. "I know."

The sun dragon, in her hybrid form once more, huffed in annoyance. "Well, if you still want me to take you to the border... now is the time to go."

Callum groaned as he stood and held his side. "Yes, we're ready."

"Callum... I'm not going with you."

"What?!" Both Rayla and Callum gasped, while Pyrrah and Corvus moved to the side, talking lowly to each other.

Ezran walked over to his friends and sighed. "When I found out assassins were coming for my dad, I ran away and hid in the walls."

"With a big stash of jelly tarts," Rayla chuckled lightly.

"Yeah...and when I found out Dad was gone forever, I ran away again. I've been running away from things my whole life. But I can't run away from growing up."

"Ezran, you didn't run away, you came with us to help save me," Callum said, kneeling before him and holding his shoulder. "You're a part of this, changing the world."

"Callum... my dad once told me something... really important and... I never understood it until now... until I met you." He held the hand on his shoulder. "When you grow up, you have to face things you're not ready for."

The dragon blinked. "Ez..."

"I might not be ready to become king... but I have to face my responsibility. I have to go home just as you have to go home. The two of us, we have a chance to change the world. We can stop the war, together. Once you get home, you can call for peace from Xadia. And I will call for peace from Katolis."

Callum lowered his head. "But... I need you."

"You don't need me Cal," he laughed dryly, then hugged the dragon. "You're strong enough to make it on your own. You don't need me to cuddle anymore. And you have Rayla to keep you safe."

"Ezran..."

"You and Rayla have to go on without me. We will see each other again, promise."

The dragon stared at him, tears forming in his eyes, but then his expression hardened, and he stood. "Rayla, lend me your blade."

The odd request made her back off a little. "Why?"

"Just do it," he ordered, holding out his hand for it.