Chapter 28- Peace

As Callum ran into the palace, passing the bodies of several Sunfire elves, he heard the sounds of fighting from the queen's chamber. As he charged into the room, he was just in time to see the man of his nightmares cast a spell that froze Rayla in place. He didn't care how he was able to do Sky magic without a primal stone, he just charged forward to stand between them. "That's far enough Viren!" he shouted.

The mage blinked at his sudden arrival. "Well, well, what an unexpected surprise, Callum." He smirked, stepping back a little. "I hardly recognise you. All dressed up...like someone important."

"Silence Viren! Drop your staff and surrender!"

"Why?" he asked almost playfully. "Why should I surrender to you?"

"Because your army is defeated, and the war is over. Ezran will take his place as the king of Katolis and end your reign of tyranny!"

"Oh my...it seems you are unaware of the situation," Viren said smugly. "I have more power now than you could ever hope to achieve, and when I consume you, I will be unstoppable. If I were you, I would run...pathetic boy." The mage stepped forward, untouched by the dragon's attempt to stop him.

"Get back!" he called again, keeping his sword ready.

The dark mage took a few more steps forward, a wicked grin on his face. In the moment of silence, they could hear the deep, calm breaths of the dragoness behind them. Viren glanced at her. "Oh, this must be the Dragon Queen, sleeping so peacefully." He reached out and gently caressed her muzzle. "Such a beautiful creature too."

"Stay away from my mother!" Callum ordered, stepping closer so he was right behind the mage.

Viren didn't even glance back at him. "Maybe I'll make you watch as I take her power first. She's practically dead already. Be a shame to waste it." He chuckled before turning on the spot and swinging his staff at the prince.

His reflexes were too fast, and there wasn't enough time to move. With a weak gasp, the dragon doubled over after being jabbed in the stomach. He tried to tell his body to move, but the pain clouded his vision and coursed down his spine. Everything hurt.

"Your mother can't protect you. You can't even protect yourself, Callum," he scoffed. "In what world could you ever defeat me?"

As the dragon fought back memories of pain, Rayla grunted while trying to free herself of her ice prison. "You know what you are, mage?!" she called out. "You're weak! You're a weak man who harms the helpless to make himself look and feel more powerful! You're not strong. You're as pathetic as they come!"

Viren took the bait and snarled over at her. "I am powerful, little elf." His staff turned to her, catching the underside of her chin. "I'm the strongest creature in all of Xadia, and when I take the dragon's life essence, nothing will stop me."

"Viren..." Callum hissed as he got back to his feet and faced the monster of every one of his nightmares. Somehow, he looked more monstrous than before with that creature on his shoulders. "This is your final chance; surrender now."

The mage turned to face him. "You are feeling quite bold to speak to me like that," he said, stepping forward. "Perhaps a week chained to the wall without food will curve your tongue."

"Save it! I'm not scared of you anymore. Now, surrender."

"I don't think so," he said cooly before charging at him.

Callum growled, preparing himself as he drew his blade and used it to block the mage.

The two clashed over and over in the room, neither of them getting the upper hand. Something at the back of his mind warned him to be careful of the creature on his shoulders, but also the fact that he was trying to wear him down. He didn't know why, but he was starting to feel tired.