Chapter 20- Silvergrove Betrayal

Corvus kept his head high as he walked around the palace. It wasn't his place of choice to spend his time, but he had sworn to protect the new king. He was also one of the few that knew the truth.

He blinked when he turned a corner and spotted the young king with his glow toad, sitting on a windowsill. His knees were pulled up to his chest as he looked outside.

As he got closer, Corvus realised what the boy was looking at; the window looked out over the city, and in the distance, it was possible to make out the Neolandian camp.

He took a deep breath, then approached with a bow. "King Ezran."

"It's just me Corvus. You can call me Ez when we're alone."

He smiled at the allowance. "Any word from the others?"

"No...and even if they made it, it would be hard to know. I was told the Breach had been destroyed. The only way to get a message across now would be to fly."

"I see."

"Have you heard from Pyrrah?"

"No, and I doubt we will. She...she's a stubborn one."

"Yeah, but she has a good heart."

"Somewhere," the hunter chuckled as he sat in the windowsill beside him. "What are you thinking about?"

"I'm thinking...I may have put all of Katolis in danger...that...people should know why I'm doing this. To end a thousand years of fighting. To bring peace."

"Well, you do have something now that was never there before." He glanced at the king's wrist, the mark turning a pale green. "Any idea what each colour means?"

"I think yellow is happy...and blue is worried. Green...I think is tired?" he guessed, looking at the band again. "But...I might be wrong."

"Would've been nice if he'd told you what they meant," the tracker chuckled.

"Yeah," Ez sniggered, "But that's what you get for having a dragon for a brother."

Corvus chuckled deeply at the words. "Indeed. Better you than me."

They fell back into silence, then the king frowned. "Why don't I tell everyone?"

"What?"

"If they knew that the Dragon Prince is alive... that he's going home to make peace... then... maybe they'd stop. Everyone wants peace at the end of the day, don't they?"

"I would hope so, yes."

"Then... that's what we do." He smiled. "I will tell everyone about Callum!"

"Is that a good idea?"

"I'll tell Opeli first, see what she thinks."

The man's eyes narrowed. "Can she be trusted?"

"I think so. She helped my dad a lot so... she should help me too. Will you come with me?"

"As you wish my King."

"Corvus~" he whined as they stood up.

The hunter just smirked, then ruffled the boy's hair. "Alright, as you wish Ez."

Nodding in approval, the pair left to find the cleric and found her in the library with a collection of scrolls. She blinked in surprise when she saw the king and tracker, but soon bowed respectfully. "Your Highness."

"Opeli... there's something I need to talk to you about. I need your advice."

"Of course sire, however I can serve you."