Chapter 26- One Last Night

Despite the coronation, Storm Spire didn't have much of a celebration that night. Instead, everyone spent their time preparing for the battle that would come the next day. Some spent it training, drinking, or performing rituals, each elf, human, and dragon readying themselves how they wished to. The newly crowned prince had just spent several hours with the generals, mages, and captains before deciding there was something he himself needed to do before the coming fight.

Heading towards the royal antechamber, he found her looking out over the clouds. "Thought I would find you here," he said as he walked over and took hold of her hand. "How are you feeling?"

"Anxious," Rayla sighed as she stared out at the clouds. "But I will do my duty to protect the queen."

"I know you will Rayla." He squeezed her hand. "I couldn't ask for a better guard."

Touching the stone on her chest, she smiled softly. "How was your meeting?"

"We've gone over the plan a hundred times. We're ready for whatever that monster throws at us."

The Moonshadow elf glanced at him with a slight worry in her eyes. "Callum...will...will you be alright... if you have to face him? After everything..."

"After everything he did to me, it's time for some payback," he told her, leaning over and brushing his cheek against hers. "I'll be fine. I know I can do this. You give me enough strength to do this. Don't worry."

"No matter what you say, I'll still worry about you," she sighed, rubbing her cheek against his in return. "I hate that this plan will have us separated. I should be by your side."

"I have an army protecting me," he said, squeezing her hand in his. "And my mother and brother have you protecting them." He breathed into her ear, then leant back, looking into her eyes to search them for a moment. "Rayla...tomorrow...tomorrow may be our last day."

"Don't-"

"I know it won't be. I know we will win. We will stand together again but...there's still the chance. Despite all our plans, we may...we may fail, and it all may end. And...with that risk...knowing that tonight could be our last night, I can't let it pass unmarked."

The guard frowned at him. "What do you mean?"

A smirk came to his lips, and he leaned in to kiss her firmly. His arm wrapped around her hip, pulling her towards him. The elf didn't need much encouragement as she leaned forward, wrapping her arms around his neck and scratching him behind the ear.

His moan against her was intoxicating and she almost moaned too when he pulled away. He stared at her with a half-lidded gaze. "Rayla," he whispered, his voice suddenly deeper.

Before she could reply, he knelt slightly and picked her up off the ground. Her startled yelp just made him grin as he carried her across the chamber to one of the doors. Still holding her, he easily opened it.

Inside was a chamber carved into stone, clearly meant for a dragon. The walls were empty, aside from the lanterns of blue flame that illuminated the space. A collection of various, soft, dark blue pillows and blankets were gathered together in a large, messy area on the floor.

As the prince gently laid her down, the elf glanced at them with blush as she thought of another possible description: a nest.

"Cal-" she started, but was soon silenced when he kissed her once more. His hands wandered, exploring her body. They made her feel like she was melting, and she couldn't fight off the urges within her.

As he had said, this could be their last night together. So, she gave in.

~#~

Panting for breath, the dragon stared down at the sight below him. Her hair was tossed, her cheeks flushed, and eyes closed as she slowly recovered. Her eyes slowly crept open to look at him, and with a soft smile, she reached up and caressed his cheek.