Chapter 24- Departures and Reunions

Soren gasped as he watched his father walk up the hill, dressed in a white robe with a large, serpent-like creature around his neck. One of his eyes was a milky white, and the other, pure black. "Dad?" he asked timidly.

Viren moved to stand in front of the troops, a staff of some kind in hand. "I have been granted a great gift," he called out to them. "The power we need to defeat Xadia and to save humanity is now ours! We must evolve. When we strike against the Dragon Queen, we will face elves and dragons, and they will rain fire upon us. But with this gift, I will inoculate you. And instead of destruction, that fire will be our nourishment!" He smirked menacingly and nodded to them. "Now, come forth."

No one in the crowd moved, sounds of distrust and fear among them.

The king frowned at the lack of willingness, but then smiled slightly. "Do not be afraid. You will understand when you see the first to change...my own beloved son, Soren." He turned to the guard behind him. "Step forward, my son. Let me help you." He held out his hand towards him.

Soren stared at him in disbelief, then shook his head. "No."

"What?"

"I said no! I don't want this. I don't want your magic." He stepped back once. "I've seen what your magic does, and I will not have it."

"You dare deny your father? Your king?"

"Yes!" he shouted, drawing his sword and throwing it at the king's feet. "I won't follow you anymore."

The soldiers mumbled at the exchange, amazed by the pair, but then Prince Kasef stepped forward, offering to take the Crown Guard's place. Viren nodded. "A brave and worthy soul. Come, show them all of your strength."

Soren glared at the prince, but then watched as his father used the golden, glowing staff to cast a spell on him, turning him into a monstrous creature with cracked skin like the surface of lava. Carefully, Soren backed away, realising this would change everything. He had to warn the others.

He turned and ran down the hill, hearing the spell behind him being cast over the whole army.

"Soren!"

He stopped and looked back to see his sister following him. "Claudia."

"What's going on?" she asked as she caught up and held his arms. "Where are you going?"

The guard shook his head, refusing to meet her eye. "I can't stay here anymore, Claudia. I can't...I can't let this happen."

"This?"

"This war. You know as well as I do that Callum wants to stop it."

"He's a dragon. He could wipe all of us out in seconds if he wanted to."

"But he doesn't want to! He wants peace! And we aren't giving him a chance!" he snapped at her. "You've seen what's going on. What Dad turned Kasef into...what Dad turned into."

Claudia looked away. "Soren, he's doing this...for us, for humanity."

"He's changing into something else. Something...I don't want to see. And so are you." He held her arm as it held onto his. "But...it's not too late. Come with me, Claudia. Leave this, leave him and help me."

"Where will you go?"

"You know where I'm going," he explained, brushing her hair back gently. "You can come too. Please?"

"No! Please, Soren, don't...don't do this to me," she sniffed, "Don't make me choose."

He thought for a moment, then smiled softly. "Okay." He walked past her. "Goodbye, Clauds," he whispered, then hurried to find his horse to ride deeper into Xadia, the same way his father was planning to go.