chapter 14

Last night he'd say he'd see him tomorrow. It's now near closing time for the shop and jungkook hasn't seen the vampire all day. There wasn't a trace of him anywhere in the house when he woke up this morning. Everytime the bell at the entrance of the store rang he looked up expectantly, hoping to see the vampire walking through the door, but no. He's nowhere to be seen.

jeongguk tries to ignore the dull ache in his chest. Had he done something wrong? He just didn't understand why taehyung would leave like that without any explanation. Not that the vampire usually gives him detailed clarification on anything, but it just seemed so unlike him. He still remembers the soft gaze in the taller's eyes, feels his face warm up at the thought. He wasn't entirely sure, but he thought that maybe things were changing. That maybe taehyung was changing. He wasn't sure how, but that look was different than any other look the vampire's ever given him.

Now he's not sure about anything anymore. Shouldn't he be glad that there isn't a vampire around to possibly kill him? So then why does he feel so cut up inside?

He shoves the thoughts away and tries to focus on cleaning up and closing the store for the night. He finishes much sooner than he expects to with the help of jin, who offers to give him a ride home. It takes jeongguk about five whole minutes to convince the other that he can just walk home. The last thing he needs is for taehyung to see him getting dropped of by the one person he told him to stay away from.

The night air is chilly, bites at his skin, making him regret not bringing a thicker jacket. His cold fingers fumble with the keys for a bit before finally unlocking his door. All he wants to do is get into the warm shower, but he doesn't even make it five steps inside. Once he's in through the doorway his back is immediately met with the hard, wooden floor. A loud yelp tears from his throat as he hits the ground, hard.

It takes a few seconds for his eyes to adjust to the dark and once they do, he sees what, or rather who, has him pinned down. His heart nearly stops beating in his chest.

~•~

He hasn't fed in days. His throat feels like it's burning with every dry swallow. He doesn't know what's doing with himself. Why didn't he just feed from jeongguk last night? Why couldn't he bring himself to do it?

That look in the human's eyes; no one has ever looked at him that way before. He's so used to only seeing fear, disgust, resentment. Whatever that was in the human's eyes, it wasn't anything like that. The monster inside him urges him to take advantage of the human's blind trust in him and put an end to it all. Just get want he's been wanting and kill him already.

jeongguk's naivety is all too tempting for the predator within him, but taehyung doesn't want to give in. He doesn't want the human dead. Just the thought of the shorter's cold, lifeless body alone makes his vision go red. And why is that, taehyung wonders. He doesn't have much time to dwell on the thought once he's only a few feet away from the human's house and suddenly catches a whiff of the familiar scent of blood in the air.

Not a second later he's kicking the door open to find the human sitting up straight on the couch, an arm resting on the armrest with his palm faced up. There's a gash across the palm of his hand, blood dripping down and into a wine glass held by a familiar vampire sitting in the armchair next to him. The human is paralyzed with fear, tears streaming from his wide eyes and down his flushed cheeks as he bites down on his trembling bottom lip.

"Ah taehyung, you came way sooner than I expected."

A loud growl rumbles in taehyung's chest as he clenches his fist, his knuckles turning white. He looks at the shorter to make sure he's okay. jeongguk meets his gaze, his panicked brown eyes practically begging him for help. "Get the fuck away from him, yoongi."

The elder tsks, "Don't freak out, taehyung. I didn't bite him. Haven't drinken from him either, I knew you probably wouldn't be too happy about it if I did. I was just trying to get your attention, is all."

yoongi's relaxed in the chair, leans back and puts his feet up on the coffee table as he continues to collect the human's blood in the glass. If it weren't for jeongguk being in the room, taehyung would have charged at the elder by now. It takes him every ounce of self control not to attack yoongi and put the human at risk.

He looks at the shorter and commands to him to get up and come to him. jeongguk barely moves before the elder vampire clicks his tongue. "Nuh uh, jeongguk. You're staying put 'til I say so."

The shorter sinks back down into his seat obediently. He continues to blubber like a baby and the sight makes taehyung's chest constrict painfully.

"What do you want, yoongi?" taehyung hisses through gritted teeth.

The other vampire sighs and motions toward the chair next to him. "Sit down, have a drink. You look like hell, haven't fed in a few days I'm guessing?"

The younger reluctantly sits down; often glancing at the human to reassure him. He could kill yoongi right now, but he knows the elder will snap jeongguk's neck before he could even get up from his seat. yoongi hands him the glass of blood and waits for him to take a sip.

The blood instantly satisfies his craving once it touches his tongue. He hears the other chortle. "I don't get why you insist on starving yourself when you literally have a fucking blood bag here all ready for you twenty-four-seven."

yoongi reaches over to run a hand down jeongguk's neck to emphasize his point. The human tenses, his uninjured hand gripping tightly onto the couch cushion. taehyung swiftly springs forward to wrench the elder's arm away. "Don't fucking touch him."

The elder snickers, obviously amused by how riled up he is. "Fine, fine. I just came here to make sure you hadn't gotten yourself killed yet anyways. namjoon's been worried about you, you're a horrible friend for leaving your brothers like that for some human."

Brothers. If this is yoongi's idea of being a family, he's got to be joking. taehyung rolls his eyes. "Where is he?"

"I knocked him out and left him back at that shack you call a house 'cause I knew he wouldn't let me have my fun with little jeongguk here," the elder says as he shoots the human a mischievous grin.

How does namjoon put up with this flippant idiot? "And you call me a horrible friend," taehyung scoffs.

"We'll be waiting back at your place for a little talk. Don't keep us waiting too long, yeah?" yoongi says with a cocky smile before exiting the house.

As soon as the elder is gone taehyung rushes to the human, who immediately falls into his arms. The vampire wraps his arms tight around the smaller, rubs soothing circles onto his back as he attempts to comfort him.

"I-I thought h-he was going t-to-" jeongguk sobs into the taller's chest. He's holding his bloody, trembling hand up to his chest.

taehyung gently grabs the injured hand to examine it. The cut isn't too deep and will probably heal just fine. He quietly hushes the shorter, "It's okay, you're okay. I won't let him do anything to you again."

As the human eventually relaxes in his hold, he finds the thought of letting go far too displeasing.