chapter 22

The angry ringing of his alarm forces jungkook to wake up from his deep sleep. The screen of his cellphone reads six o'clock in the morning. He groans and allows his heavy lids to fall as he plops his head back down onto the pillow. After about five minutes of lying there listening to the birds chirping outside his window he finally realizes that he's alone in bed.

He quickly sits up and checks his surroundings to confirm what he already knows. taehyung didn't stay with him the whole night. Or maybe he did and he just happened to leave before he woke up. He hopes it's the latter, but deep inside he knows that probably isn't the case. His chest tightens painfully. Why didn't taehyung stay?

Last night when he felt the vampire get into bed with him he thought that things were changing. He thought that maybe things were going to be different from now on. He's been confused about everything and where they stand. After last night he thought he would finally get a clear view of things, but now he just feels more confused. He's never known what exactly what he means to the vampire and last night it seemed like he was more than just a bloodbag. Now that he's woken up alone he can't help but feel stupid for even thinking he's something more special than that.

He brings his knees up to his chest and wraps his arms around them as he sighs. The ache in his chest won't go away no matter how hard he tries to tell himself to stop being dramatic. Why is he so sad anyway? It's not like taehyung ever said he was someone he cared about. He knows this, but he still feels used. The thought that the vampire might only be using him for sex cuts into his heart like a knife. He blinks away the tears that prick at his eyes before forcing himself to get out of bed and get ready for work.

There's an incessant buzzing in his pocket as he walks to the shop. jimin's blowing up the group chat, talking about how they should hang out with taehyung again. jungkook's genuinely surprised by how fast his friends have taken a liking to the vampire. He wonders if taehyung would even want to hang out with them again. Even though he should be happy, it makes him feel even worse considering taehyung isn't actually his boyfriend. What's going to happen once this is all over? Whatever this is.

Last night just muddled the whole situation even further. If taehyung is just using him, does that mean he's going to get bored of him eventually? And what's going to happen when he does? Is he going to just leave or is he going to kill him so he doesn't leave behind any witnesses? A part of him wants to be optimistic. Why would taehyung want to meet his friends if he only wants him for sex? Why would he be so nice to him if he doesn't actually care about him? Well, as nice as a vampire can be, he supposes.

There's a sinking feeling in his gut as he replays all the nice moments they've shared. The night he was attacked by yoongi and taehyung was being so gentle with him. The way he apologized to him for letting him get hurt. The night he won him that stuffed dog. It's all so confusing. He thinks he'd rather the vampire just be cruel to him so at least he wouldn't feel so stupid like he does now. Is he naive for thinking that maybe taehyung actually cares about him?

He suddenly recalls their first night together. How terrifying and vulturine the vampire was. How he had literally threatened to kill him and his friends at one point. His threatening and glaring ruby eyes flash across jungkook's mind and a fearful chill runs down his back as he instinctively crosses his arms across his chest in a protective manner. The taehyung from that night and the taehyung from last night seem like two completely different people. So which one is the real one exactly?

He spends the entire walk trying not to lose his mind and before he knows it he's standing in front of the bookstore. The window display of the latest teen romance novels is mediocre at best, which probably means jennie is the one who put it up. He takes a mental note to redo it later. Now that he's at work he remembers that jin missed two days of work last week and he still hasn't heard from him. Why does it seem like everything in his life is going wrong all at the same time?