chapter 16

The house is nearly dead silent by the time he returns. The wine glass stained with jungkook's blood is still sitting atop the coffee table. Images of the human's terrified face begging for help flashes in his mind. His chest clenches and fists tighten.

He quietly makes his way into the bedroom to find the shorter curled up in bed underneath his thick blanket. For a second taehyung thinks the other's sleeping, but then his ears pick up the faint sound of sniffling. A hushed sigh falls from his mouth as he slowly makes his way to the bed.

"Hey," he whispers as he gently pulls down the blanket to reveal a sniffling jungkook. The shorter silently stares at him with scared, wide eyes. His injured hand is wrapped up, but the white bandages are stained with crimson. taehyung feels the ache in his chest spread. The human was just starting to trust him; is he scared of him now that he's seen what their kind is capable of? It's strange. This feeling. This dull ache in his chest. It wasn't too long ago when the monster within him would've relished in seeing the shorter in pain, terrified, crying like this; but, now it's just disheartening. And he wants to kill yoongi for making his human like this.

The shorter's bottom lip trembles before he shuts his eyes and lets out a weak sob. taehyung swallows hard; his mouth is dry. He slowly lifts the blanket and tries to lie down next to the smaller. He expects jungkook to retreat, to pull away and scream and tell him to get away, but he doesn't. The human simply moves over to make room for the vampire.

taehyung lies down in the small bed and gently pulls the smaller into his arms so that jungkook's head is resting on his chest. The latter doesn't protest, much to the vampire's surprise. He continues to silently cry, tears wetting taehyung's shirt. He doesn't mind.

"I'm sorry, jungkook," taehyung whispers softly. He thinks it's the first time he's ever apologized to anyone before.

He feels the human freeze in his hold, his crying coming to a cease.

"I should've came sooner. I shouldn't have let you been alone with him for so long."

It's silent for a minute before the smaller finally speaks up. "It wasn't your fault."

His voice is so soft, almost fragile, makes the vampire want to hold him tight and protect him from everything cruel in the world.

"It was. I should've fucking knew he would've come back," taehyung spits out. He feels the anger rising in his chest once again, but then he feels the human flinch at his harsh tone. He quickly quiets his voice once again. "I should've been there to protect you."

"W-Who was he? He looked familiar."

The vampire sighs, "No one. He's nobody."

The human pulls away, readjusting himself so that he's lying on the pillow next to the vampire and looks at him. "I don't know anything about you," he says in a hushed tone, as if he doesn't want taehyung to hear.

It's true. he hasn't told jungkook anything about himself or his so-called family, but the way the other says it and the look in his eyes makes the pain in his chest even worse. jungkook's looking and speaking to him like he's a stranger. Which is true, if he has to admit it to himself. He is basically a stranger to the human. Even though he's been watching over the other for so long, it's always been from afar, one sided.

"His name is yoongi. He's kind of like my brother, I guess you could say," taehyung gives in, sighing. It's strange calling yoongi his brother after all the bullshit the elder's pulled.

The shorter frowns. taehyung almost wants to smile now that the human is no longer crying. "What do you mean 'kind of'? You guys don't seem like you have the best relationship."