chapter 20

It's been so long since they've had a run in with a hunter. They would hear stories about them all the time back home. It wasn't until about six years ago when he, namjoon, and yoongi actually encountered one. They were staying in a city, had been there for a little under two months. It was easier than being in a small town. A bigger place and more people meant less of the chances of getting caught.

The crime rate was way up, a couple bodies here and there once in a while wasn't enough to raise suspicions. Especially when they were being careful about it, not leaving any marks and making it look like a normal murder. As normal as murders can get, anyway.

It wasn't until one night when yoongi decided he was bored and hungry that he decided to go berserk on a dive bar in downtown, killing every living soul inside it with the exception of one.

The owner was an older man in his late sixties, small in stature with thinning grey hair. The vampire never would've expected him to pull out a crossbow, shooting two arrows straight at him, one into his chest and the other into his shoulder. The black haired vampire quickly fled from the bar once he realized the owner was holding a sharp stake in his hand and coming toward him. Ever since that night namjoon decided they it would be best if they didn't stay in one place for too long since the eldest was clearly unable to control himself.

"Where's yoongi? Does he know about it?"

namjoon slumps down in a chair and threads his hands through his hair, sighing. "He's getting rid of the body, told him to meet us back here as soon as possible."

Not five minutes later, the eldest comes strolling in from the kitchen, his shirt and hands stained with blood.

"How'd you get in?" taehyung asks, grimacing in disgust.

"The back door was open. You should really tell little jungkookie to be more careful. He's a cute one, you never know who's looking to snatch him up," the other says with a smirk.

taehyung springs up from his seat, his hand slamming loudly on the table. namjoon quickly reaches out to grab his arm, urging him to calm down. taehyung remembers jungkook's in the other room, asleep, so he sits back down with a scowl. "Don't fucking call him that."

"Look, we need to talk about what happened," namjoon says as he motions for yoongi to take a seat at the kitchen table. "Someone has obviously noticed that we're here and we need to leave."

"Who was it anyway? The body you found."

"Some guy, who had contacts on. He obviously hasn't been hunting, so I'm guessing he's got himself a human like you he's shacking up with. See what I mean when I say getting involved with a human's nothing but trouble?"

taehyung scoffs, "Don't drag me into this. I'm fine, aren't I?"

The other leans in as if getting closer could somehow stress the urgency in his voice. "That's not the point, taehyung. I'm guessing this hunter thought he got the only one in town, we need to leave now while we're ahead. It's a small town, it's too risky for us to stay here."

How can namjoon even be asking him to leave? He left once and look what happened to him. He was a wreck."So you guys leave, I won't get caught. I stopped hunting, remember?"

yoongi groans and rolls his eyes. "You're not choosing to stay here for a human and risk the chances of dying, are you?"

"yoongi's right. It's too dangerous and we're not just gonna leave you, goddamnit. What if the hunter finds you?"

taehyung exhales sharply and closes his eyes. Images of jungkook flash in his mind and he knows there's no way he can leave. He remembers the human's smile and feels his chest clench. How could he leave now that jungkook's just starting to smile at him like that? "I can't leave him," he says under his breath, burying his face into his hands. "I can't talk about this right now."