chapter 35

He isn't sure if it's the lack of sleep or simply because of jin's irksome face, but all this time taehyung has been spending in the bookstore has really put a damper on his mood. He's not even sure if there is any point in being here watching over jungkook all day, but he just can't take a chance after that fight with his brothers. He hasn't heard from or seen either of them anywhere, but that doesn't necessarily mean they've left. Even if he had told them to stay away, knowing how stubborn yoongi is, he isn't confident they actually listened to him.

After finding out about their little visit to jungkook at work, there is no way he's leaving the human out of his sight again. taehyung may have taught him how to defend himself, but that doesn't mean jungkook would actually be able to fight off someone like yoongi without help. Giving him the stake was simply a precaution and that's if jungkook would even be willing to use it.

The human has been keeping himself busy with hanging up all sorts of Halloween decor around the shop. Many of which taehyung does not understand the purpose of. Humans take time out of their day to dust and tidy their homes, yet around this time of the year they put up fake cobwebs everywhere to make everything look horrible on purpose. It really made no sense to the vampire.

Last night during dinner, jungkook had told him about how the children might not be allowed to go trick-or-treating this year. taehyung doesn't have the slightest idea on why humans would even want their children they love so much to wander around in the night to strangers' homes. It seems to him like humans love constantly putting themselves in danger and then act shocked when it ends in bloodshed and death. Even if taehyung doesn't understand it, jungkook was quite saddened by the news, so the vampire supposes it must be an important thing for these children to go begging for candy.

"It looks nice, doesn't it? All the decorations," the human says, excitedly eyeing his handy work around the store.

taehyung takes a look at the array of pumpkins atop the shelves, plastic bats and skulls on the walls, and white sheet ghosts hanging from the ceiling. He doesn't know what this all should look like, but if jungkook says it's nice, then it must be nice-whatever that means. "Yeah."

"jin and I bought some candy to give out too."

At the mention of his name, taehyung takes a look around for the human's co-worker. He's standing behind the register and their sharp eyes meet for merely a second before they both turn away again. Oh how the vampire wishes he had killed him before promising jungkook to not hurt anyone.

"How do you know him?"

"Who? jin? You know how, through here, work."

"I know, but how did you guys meet? Were you friends before? How well do you know him?"

jungkook furrows his brows in confusion at the vampire's sudden interest in his co-worker. taehyung can sense the hesitance in his voice as he says, "Well, I was already working here and he came in to buy something. He started coming really often and we got to talking. He told me that he just moved here and needed a job and I offered him a part time one since he was always here anyways..." He pauses and looks up at the vampire as if he's expecting some sort of reaction from him. When taehyung doesn't say anything, he continues. "I guess I know him pretty well since we've been working together for about five years and see each other almost everyday. But we don't really talk about our personal lives or anything. Why do you ask? You usually hate it when I mention him."

Something about jin is off. taehyung sensed it from the moment he first saw him, saw the way he was looking at an unsuspecting and unguarded jungkook. Now with jennie's death, he is even more suspicious of him. jungkook had said jin and jennie were alone the night she was killed. That fact alone makes him the number one suspect. jin doesn't seem to be affected by jennie's sudden disappearance at all and from what taehyung has seen throughout his life is that humans tend to worry about those kinds of things. It's strange that he isn't curious about where she went that night.