Episode 3 - Rivals x For x Survival

The intro, opening song and recap are skipped.

Gon grumbles quietly but doesn't complain.

The screen shows the words RIVALS X FOR X SURVIVAL before panning down from a sunny sky to show a busy market area. The subtext "Zaban City" is given as the narrator gives a voiceover.

"Gon and his friends have arrived in Zaban City, site of the Hunter Exam, aided by the Kiriko Navigators."

Gon and his friends are shown being led by the Kiriko son who speaks, "As Navigators, our job is to identify worthy Hunter applicants and guide them to the exam site. In other words, it would be extremely difficult for someone to reach the site without a Navigator's help."

"Extremely difficult, but not impossible, right?" Leorio wonders.

"Yes. However, Navigators do also act as examiners, in the sense that they decide who qualifies to enter the exam and who doesn't." Kurapika says, "Supposedly someone makes it to the site without the help of a Navigator, they could still be turned away from the exam if they didn't qualify."

"Really?" Gon looks at Kurapika, eyes wide with curiosity.

"Possibly. I don't think it's very common, though."

A green frog-like animal on a stick is suddenly shown. "Hey, wanna try one?" The frog on a stick zooms out to a man holding the stick as he grabs the attention of Gon and advertises his product, "It's Zaban's famous panda-frog-on-a-stick! A true delicacy!"

Killua sticks his tongue out, "Yeah right. Why have some weird panda frog when you can have chocolate frogs." To emphasise his point, Killua leans over and grabs a handful of chocolate from the table, "Or anything chocolate, really." Killua shoves the chocolate sweets in his mouth.

A woman is then shown holding up a shiny brooch, "This brooch was excavated from Zaban's underground palace. I bet that it's a national treasure."

Leorio mutters to himself as the group walks, "You know, Zaban is quite a shady place."

As multiple stalls and people are shown, Kurapika speaks, "Prosperous cities tend to attract all sorts of nasty types."

A close up of Gon's face is shown in awe as he flits from one stall to another. The group turn back, Leorio shouting, "What are you doing, Gon? We're going!"

"Don't tell me you were actually interested in the crap they're trying to sell," Killua pointedly looks at Gon.

"Ah? Uhh... well, they have to have some sort of value, right?" Gon sheepishly smiles. The others in the room simply sigh at Gon's naivety.

Gon turns away from a stall and nods, "Yeah!" before running towards them.

As the group leaves the busy marketing area, the Navigator looks down at a piece of paper, "I believe, that is the building." He points in front of him.

The three Hunter examinees look up to see a tall building which stands out among the rest of the buildings.

Gon smiles, "It's so tall! They have a really nice building."

Killua cracks up, "Seriously? You guys really think such a prestigious event would be taken somewhere so obnoxiously obvious? This is the Hunter Exam. Hunter. They're not going to make it easy for idiots. Although, Leorio must have a lot of luck to have made it..."

"Shut up!!!" Leorio yells.

Kurapika sighs, "I must admit that even I was quite foolish to believe the exam would be held in such an attention-grabbing place."