EPILOGUE

"Cap, may kulang pa po tayo!" 

I arched a brow and reviewed the flight details to check the attendance of the cabin crew. The side of my lips rose up when I read her name. 

Ashianna Kim Fernandez. 

"I don't care. Let's start," I started the safety briefing. 

Ever since I left the country, I had been visiting once a year to renew my commercial license so I wouldn't lose it. Hinahanap ko siya palagi bawat uwi ko, at tumigil lang noong malamang dito na siya nagtatrabaho sa FlyAsia. I worked in Delta for a few years before I went back here and applied for a job after my father died. 

"I have always loved your mother." Those were his last words.

My parents did not really end up together, even though they got married and had kids. At some point, maybe they got tired of being separated. They kept on saying that the love faded, but at his last moment, all he could think about were his memories with her. 

I had this idea that before we die, all of our memories with the most important people in our life will play again in just a couple of seconds before we become at peace. 

The death of my father broke my mother's heart, and mine. It was so hard to see him in the hospital bed, his body giving up, but he was still trying to fight. It made me realize how important it was to be with the people we love before we die, so we could have no regrets. 

It had been tough. Life had been tough on me, but I reminded myself that I control my future and if I won't get out of my dark past, I won't go anywhere but here, on the same position, mourning and hurting. 

My dad wanted me to do what I was best in, and that was flying. I realized that working in United States did not really make me happy, although I had friends. Ever since my father died, I just felt terrible. It was so tiring I had to go back here to find my comfort. It had always been this country, and it had always been her. 

"Tara na, Cap," our first officer said when we arrived at the airport.

I suddenly stopped walking when I saw her in front with some of the flight attendants. She was laughing with her friends, pulling her small black suitcase. My heart immediately skipped a beat when she looked sideways, almost catching my eyes. 

Was she taller? I think she became taller, and... slimmer. She was wearing her clean uniform and her hair was in a clean bun. She looked more mature and more professional but her features remained the same. 

I think she cut her hair just below her chest. That was what I saw in Samantha's Instagram story last week. 

I think she did not see me. Hindi ko nga alam kung alam niya bang ako ang kapitan sa flight na 'to. Knowing Yanna, she probably forgot or overlooked. I chuckled by myself, watching her act so carefree with her friends after we passed by the immigration.