(26)

The past few weeks had been a blur, I barely remember anything. I remember two dates with peter, I had been getting into trouble at school from being pulled out all the time to help cap. We had moved upstate, those of us left. There were a few of us that he had on a 'team', if you could even call us that. Tony started realizing that I wasn't at school or the tower as much. "What's going on with you kid?" He asked. "Nothing, why?" I asked. "Kid you're not around anymore. You're not on duty either, that's for sure." He replied. "I've been busy, Peter and I have our tests computing up and everything. We've been studying after school a lot." I lied. "That's funny, I talked to peter and may and they both agreed that they hadn't seen you in over 2 weeks." He replied. "I've been helping cap. He's struggling to keep his calm."I half-lied. "Oh, ok. Sorry." He said, hanging up the phone.

I got a message. "Nice save." It read. I sighed and left for my room to get changed into my suit. I walked out once changed and headed to the runway. "Wheels up in 5, get in." Cap reminded. We were headed somewhere, I couldn't remember the name of it though. "Kid, you feeling alright?" Sam asked. I nodded. "Yeah, I'm good, why?" I asked. "You look sad, or tired." He replied, sitting down. "You need to talk?" He asked me. "I'm alright. Things with peter are going a little out of wack with me constantly working with you guys, Tony has been off the radar virtually and now that we've moved upstate, it's really taking affect on me and my relationships." I replied. "Damn, if you need to quit just talk to cap." He said, patting my shoulder and leaving. I got up and walked to the front of the jet.

"Where we headed today?" I asked Steve. "Lagos, Nigeria." He replied, sitting down and getting things ready. I nodded and walked back, sitting down and strapping in. "Kid, you good?" Nat asked. I nodded. "Everyone keeps asking, I'm alright." I replied, pulling out my phone and messaging peter. 'I'll be busy, out on another mission. Call when I get back?' I waited for a reply. 'Sure, sounds good.' He replied. I turned off my phone as we took off. We landed and exited, heading to our spots. Wanda in a coffee shop, Steve watching from an apartment, Nat little bit across from Wanda and Sam watching from a rooftop. And I.....I was still in the jet. They left me there and told me if I was needed I'd be called. "Sam, you see that garbage truck? Tag it." Steve instructed. "What am I meant to do?" I asked.

"Stay back and hidden, you're a kid, if you get a life sentence you're in there longer than them." F.R.I.D.A.Y replied from the cabin. "Give me x-ray." Sam said. "Driver's armed. Truck's loaded at max weight." Sam replied. "Battering ram." Nat suggested. "Go now." Steve said. "What?" Wanda and I asked. "He's not hitting the police, y/n stay behind, Wanda, Sam and Nat come on." He instructed. There was a loud crash down the road. "Screw it." I mumbled, grabbing my shield and mask, leaving the jet. "Where are you going!" F.R.I.D.A.Y called. "To help!" I replied, jumping rooftops. "Two yellow trucks with armed men just arrived, you guys up for this?" I asked, getting closer. "Already on it!" Cap yelled. I arrived and jumped down, running to help Steve. "Go back to the jet!" He yelled at me, blocking bullets. "No way!" I yelled, throwing my shield at the guys shooting.

They passed out on impact and I grabbed my sheild. "We gonna head in now?" I asked. "go back to the jet." Steve replied, heading into the building. I followed, there was no way he was doing this alone. He followed through, taking out whoever possible. I hid behind corners, taking out whoever came close. The gas started being pulled from the building, making a tornado outside. "Wanda you sure you got this?" I asked. "Yes I am." She replied, watching the tornado of gas grow. "Rumlow has a biological weapon." Cap said, a hint of bitterness and disappointment in his voice. "I'm on it." Nat replied. "Cap, we gotta get out of here." I said, walking to the edge of the broken glass. "Wanda, think you can catch me?" I asked. "Stay inside a little longer, I've almost got it." She replied. I saw cap leaving through a deck and watched.

"Watch it!" I yelled. Cap went running through the building in front of windows, some crazed maniac following him with, rockets? I watched cap run past me and realized I'd be burnt alive if I didn't run now. I grabbed my shield and held it to cover as much of my body as possible, sprinting after cap. There was a loud explosion behind me as I was thrown out some broken glass, cap in front of me. I panicked for a moment before putting my shield under me and letting it catch my fall. Cap fell straight on his back. "Sam, he's in an AFV heading north." Cap grunted, trying to get up. I grabbed his hand and yanked him upward, handing him his shield. "Y/n this is the last time I'm gonna tell you. Go back to the jet." He replied, running off. I ran after him, seeing Sam diving in. "I've got four, they're splitting up." He said.

"Follow them, Nat you take as many as you can. I'll get the others." Cap instructed, running into the firestorm. "I'll go after the last one." I replied. Cap spun around and grabbed me by the shoulder joints. "Go home kid." He replied, turning back and running off. "F.R.I.D.A.Y, I need a full X-ray Scan, PinPoint these guys." I said into my other earpiece. "One of the targets are getting away, follow through on your left." She instructed. I ran after him, trying to hit him with my shield. "I've got the two on the left." Nat said. "I've got the other." I replied, knocking him down with my shield. "They ditched the gear, it's a shell game now. One of them has the payload." Cap said, followed by a loud crash and beeping. "Cap you alright?" I asked. "Struggling." He grunted. "He doesn't have it, I'm empty." Sam replied. "Neither does my guy." I replied, checking him over. "Payload Secure, thanks Sam." Nat said. "Don't thank me." He replied. "I'm not thanking that thing." She replied.  "His name is redwing." Sam pushed. "Still Not thanking it." She replied.