Chapter 16

Summer's mind went black until she found herself laying on the ground of an abandoned and ruined temple. She sat up and looked around. It was no one but her. Why was she taken here though? She felt the wind blow her attention to the steps and there was an old relic that sat there alone in perfect condition. She got up and walked up the steps. When she got to the top she heard a familiar voice yell, "MOM."

Summer turned around to see Ruby and Claire running down the steep rocky hill, "Ruby?"

Ruby and Claire stopped at the edge of the steps, "Mom, Why did you disappear from the station? How,"

"I don't know," Summer replied, "Abby never does this. There must be something going on."

"Summer, if it has anything to do with what I said, I'm sorry," Claire begged.

Summer looked at Claire in a forgiving way, "You have done nothing to hurt me. In a lot of cases, it will one day be noscence. You have made Marcey's world happy as she has to yours. You don't need to apologize. You've done nothing to me. It's the things I've done and I'm deeply sorry. I was once a woman like you, except more of my daughter. After passing through three lives, I forgot everything as I woke up with a regenerated body in the future. When I came back, Abby made me remember and I didn't want it to break you both."

The relic behind them began to shine until a light swept inside. Summer looked at it and Ruby thought it was going to explode. The second her foot hit the first step the force impaled the two backwards. When they got up Summer was touching it, trying to control it with her force, but it failed, grabbed her and swallowed her into the beam of light as she became a spirited figure. Something pushed Marcey's body down the steps and out of the spirited figure's body. It rose and exploded again. It let Summer down and she landed on her feet. Her hair was long and she wore a white goddess-like dress. Claire rushed to Marcey's lifeless body as Ruby slowly got up. She slowly walked towards her mother and stopped at the edge of the steps again. Her mother looked like a beauty and sprouted her wings, closing them a second later. As she walked down the steps towards Ruby, Ruby noticed her mother wasn't wearing her cloak. Ruby took her bag off of her and pulled it out. She always kept it with her everywhere. The one her mother always kept as a spare in her closet. When Summer stopped in front of her, Ruby put the cloak around her mother fastening it properly.

Her mother stopped her for a second, "Ruby, you don't need to-"

"It's been a tradition in our family, remember? Please, mom! I might not have a physical piece of you anymore, but I have memories I can write about! It's okay," Ruby reassured her.

"Then do me a favor, Ruby," Summer asked, "If you still have the necklace, keep it safe."

"I will," Ruby replied. She took it out of her pocket and put it around her own neck. She then hugged her mother and was ready to let go, " I love you mom!"

Summer hugged her only child back, "I love you too, Ruby!"

After they stopped hugging, a gust of wind went through their hair. As Claire watched, both Summer and Ruby knew it was time. Summer walked back up the steps as the sun set. She turned around and looked at Ruby one last time. Ruby and Claire watched Summer sparkle and glow. Abby came out from her and opened up a postal behind Summer as it swallowed Ruby's mom in, gentally and peacefully. Abby then turned to spirit and went into Ruby's necklace. Ruby grabbed it and began to cry. Claire came over and hugged her before Ruby collapsed a bit. She set Ruby down on the steps and they heard Qrow and Oscar calling them. Ruby got up and yelled, "UNCLE QROW, OSCAR, WE'RE OVER HERE! WE'RE OVER HERE!"

They saw the two appear as Oscar jumped down the hill. Ruby ran towards him and he picked her up in a hug, spinning her around, "We were so worried, Ruby. We couldn't find you and Claire out here."

She split away from him and hugged her own uncle. When her uncle caught sight of Claire sitting near Marcey's lifeless body, he quickly went away from Ruby's gripp. Oscar stood next to Ruby as they both watched.

"Is she still in there," he asked Claire.

She shook her head and he picked Marcey's body up in sadness as Claire replied, "I am so sorry, Qrow. Also you don't have to carry her. I think I can do it."

"Don't be silly Claire," Qrow said, "Let me help you take her back. You can walk next to me if you want."

And with that they walked back near the city all four of them with Marcey, dead in Qrow's Arms. They took her back to the police station and it took a week to get the funeral made. After the funeral, Claire and Qrow moved in with Oscar and Ruby. Qrow's sentence got canceled and everyone started to try and be happy for both Summer and Mercy's sake.