Another Normal Day

As the sunshine poured  through the slightly opened curtains into my bedroom, I groaned and tried to cover my eyes but, as normal, it never worked.  It was rare, at this time of year, to get sunshine since the sky was normally covered in clouds, threatening to sweep snow across the land once more.

Changing out of my fluffy warm pajamas and into my thick winter clothes, I walked down the stairs into the kitchen thinking on what to make for breakfast.  First was coffee!  I could never go one day without my hot coffee - the bitterness always woke me up and put me into a better mood. Grabbing the kettle I place it in the sink and let the water full it up before I place it back on the stand to start boiling. 

Walking over to the lounge window I stare out over the horizon.  The view from where I live is always breathtaking and gives me a calming vibe. Being snapped from my mind by the sound of the kettle whistling, I walk over to it and pour the water over my coffee. I would have loved to add sugar but I was out of sugar as I had forgotten to buy some the last time I was down at the village.  Thinking about it now, I could make the journey down to the village and be back before lunchtime.

Packing my coffee to go in my favorite flask, I head out to the barn to saddle up Nutmeg. She was a middle-aged horse but acted like a young pony.  She was a very kind and gentle horse - always being very patient with me even though we both hated the mornings.  I had picked her up from a farmer who was a friend of my fathers.  The farmer  was moving away and had offered Nutmeg to me, knowing how lonely it could get up here in the mountains.

Lucky for me Nutmeg was already awake and seemed to have the same idea as I.  Taking her saddle and rein down, I grab a blanket and put it on her back before the saddle. After a few minutes of struggle, I got the reins on her as well - she never really liked the reins and I could understand why - I mean having a piece of metal in your mouth for many hours of the day isn't the type of fun I want!
______________________________________________________________________________
Riding into town I wave to people walking past.  Because of how small the village was, everyone knew everyone, so we were all like one big happy family.  Well almost!  The sheriff of the village wasn't very friendly and I bet if he could he would rule this village like he owned it.  Getting off of Nutmeg, I was greeted by the kids of the village.  They always had a fascination with Nutmeg and the same went for Nutmeg.  Leaving the kids behind I wandered over into the grocery store, which happened to look more like one of the olden day bars then a shop.

I wandered the aisles of the place grabbing what I would need for the next few weeks and few extras.  I wouldn't be coming back down for at least the rest of the winter unless it was an emergency. The owner of the place was a middle-aged woman with dark brown hair and vibrant green eyes - not the type of person you would expect to see around here but, then again, her family had been of the first settlers here, along with my family and the Sheriffs. Her name was Margaret, a very nice lady unless you pissed her off of course.

  Margaret: Why hello deary, I haven't seen you for so long.  Been stuck up in the cabin of yours,                           aren't u lonely? 

Me: No madam.   I have my chickens and Nutmeg to look after and keep me company and                         unless  a man of my liking walks into town, that's all there will ever be .. .but yes it can get               lonely.  Now how much will that be,  madam?  

I handed Margaret the amount of money required for the goods I was buying before I packed them into my bag and headed out to Nutmeg. I was not too happy to see the Sheriff eyeing my horse to see how much she was worth.  Walking over,  I place the bag on the back of the saddle and turn to the sheriff.

Me: Sheriff, if you keep eyeing my horse as if you own her, I will sling you one right in the balls!               Am I understood? 

Sheriff: Come now Miss Amari.  You know I could easily take her from you.

Watching that bastard go flying into the snow from my punch was quite satisfying.  He had it coming, the smug bastard, walking around here as if he's the owner and founder of the Village! Walking over to Nutmeg's side I patted her neck gently and glared at the Sheriff.

Me: Now listen to me Sheriff and take these words to heart and soul!  The next time you touch my horse, me, or anything that belongs to me, I will make sure that the wolves will have you for dinner and that is a promise on my ancestor's lives!

Getting onto Nutmeg, I ride out of the village, not missing the smiles of gratitude and the smirks of people who had laughed. Riding up the path I kept an eye on the sky.  Up here, in the mountains, the weather could change faster then a chicken could lay an egg. The forest was beautiful in my eyes - the different types of trees, how the leaves changed colors for the seasons and  also the animals that lived and took shelter in the forest - all beautiful. 

Riding up to my house, I jump off of Nutmeg and, after pulling the bag from her saddle, walk her over to the barn.  I left her out to wander as I trusted her and I knew she wouldn't leave the property or go anywhere near the woods,  I look around her stable and shook my head.  The stable was disgustingly dirty. Picking up the cleaning supplies I head into the stable and lock the doors.

It was the middle of noon when I finally came from the - now clean - barn.  Nutmeg was laying against the chicken coop watching the chickens.  I swear, sometimes she reminds me of dog and I bet if I let her sit on my lap, she would try. Grabbing her reins I lead her back into her stable and took off her rein and saddle.   I folded up the blanket and put it away.  It wasn't dirty and didn't smell, so it was fine for now. I locked the stable and headed to the chicken coop.

Lucky for me the coop wasn't too bad and didn't need cleaning until tomorrow.  I walked into the small coop, grabbed the eggs carefully before walking out,  only to be swarmed at my feet by the mother hens.  They were starved and now they wouldn't let me through. I sighed and,  after putting the eggs down somewhere I knew they wouldn't fall, I grabbed the feed bucket  and started throwing out their corns and seed.

Once the hens had their full and were happy, they let me through without any problems.  Taking the eggs with me, I picked up the bag of groceries and walked inside my house to start packing everything away. Walking over to couch, I sat down with a bag of chips and chocolates,  put the TV on to the movie station, only to end up asleep halfway through my 2 movies.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Next chapter will have the yautja 

Bye ~