Natural Liking

Chapter 42: Natural Liking
Tia

*Two weeks later.*

My graduation was yesterday and the weight of my Valedictorian speech was off my shoulders.

Turning on my stomach, I was happy that I didn't have to go to school today, getting a break from the drama.

"We're going to be late!" Marinette yells, running into my room.

"Late for what?"

"My fitting, Ava. My fitting!" She repeats, making me sit up.

"Oh. Sorry."

"Hurry up and get dressed!"

"Hurry up and get dressed." I mock her, moving my hand around.

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈«

"If I'm not fed, I will embarrass you."

"You wouldn't dare."

"Try me. I have plenty of tricks up my sleeves." I threaten my sister, forcing her to give me money. "Thanks, love."

"Hello. Party for Marinette, right?"

"Yes, that's me." Mari raises her hand, stepping forward.

The consultant lady claps, guiding us into a larger room.

"Last time you were here, you didn't find a dress. I think we found the perfect one today."

"Then let's try it." Marinette nods, standing up to follow the lady.

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈«

"Oh. That's pretty."

"You look gorgeous, honey." My mom chirps.

Marinette looks over to me, waiting for my opinion and I push some fries in my mouth, examining her.

"It looks great on you, Mari."

"I think this is the dress." She giggles, running her hands across it.

"That's great. Let's get this off of you, and paid for." The consultant claps enthusiastically and I clap with her.

"Great. Now we can go eat."

"Aren't you-" Marinette points at me as I put more fries in my mouth, pointing back at her.

"Ask no questions."

✄┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈«

"Damien!"

"Hi Marinette. Hey Tia."

Marinette continues holding onto Damien, her arms draped across his neck as she looks him in the eyes. Damien keeps looking between her and I and I mouth to him, telling him to focus on his fiancée.

He winks at me before looking at her, wrapping his arms around her waist. I feel my face heat up and I walk away from them, entering the house behind Mrs. Gray and my mom.

"Tia, honey?" My mom calls me.

"Yes, mom?"

"I bought cake mix, do you think you could-"

"I'm on it mom." I nod, taking the box and making my way into the place where I belong, the kitchen.

"How do you understand this?" Damien questions, picking the box up to read it.

"With this thing inside your head and above your nose." Giggling, I turn around to flick his nose, hearing Marinette laugh.

"I'm glad you guys get along."

Marinette holds Damien's arm, grinning proudly. Damien and I look at each other, raising our eyebrows in unison.

"We get along perfectly." I speak for the both of us, scrunching up my nose.

"Now." Damien coughs, changing the subject. "How does this whole baking thing work."

Pointing to the water, he picks it up along with the measuring cup, handing them to me.

"No. You do it. There are instructions for a reason."

Ten minutes later and I'm pouring the batter into the pan, waiting for Damien to open the oven.

I push the cake in and set the timer, leaning against the counter when I finish.

The three of us continue talking, the tension between Mari and Damien was obvious.

"Marinette, do you want to hang out with Sophie and I this weekend?" Damien asks my sister.

"You know I don't like kids, Damien. I'll pass." Marinette scoffs, putting her hands on her hips.

"Oh. Tia?"

"I'd be happy to go with you guys. Sophie is amazing."

"Thank you, Tia. She'd appreciate it."

"Don't mention it."