Chapter 10

Since my paragliding experience, I had begun to have somehow become much more confident. If I could handle being suspended 50ft in the air, then I could handle anything, right? It was risky theory but I did my best to tackle anything that was thrown at me and today was no different.

“So you have a secret boyfriend?” Fletcher teased. Rocky had called me that day and asked if I wanted to hang out on Brighton pier. Of course, I agreed immediately without seeming too eager, however once I had told Fletcher about it he quickly started to mock me.

“He’s not my boyfriend” I whined, studying my appearance in the mirror as I attempted to do something more interesting with my boring mop of hair. I wasn’t good at typical girly things like doing my hair or makeup.

“But you want him to be…?”

I blushed, “I-I don’t know…”

I tried to hide my face as I smiled to myself. I did like Rocky a lot and I think he reciprocated these feelings, so it was definitely looking hopeful. However I knew if I said yes I wouldn’t hear the last of it.

“Hey, maybe we should go on a double date? Me and Olive and you and this Rocko guy?”

Rocky” I emphasised, although I think he was getting his name wrong on purpose. Fletcher just loved to wind me up, “I don’t know if that’s a good idea…”

“Why not?” He frowned,

"Because it’s only our second date… he might not want you and Olive tagging along…” I had to come up with an excuse so that I could spend some time alone with Rocky. If I wanted him to be my boyfriend, I would have to get to know him and that would be made difficult with those two interrupting us.

“Text him now” He ordered, “I want to meet him.”

“Why?” I questioned curiously, shooting him a sly look, before turning my attention back to my hair.

“To see if he’s good enough for you.” The one thing I loved about Fletcher was that he was very protective of me. I guess in a way he was like my older brother, neither of us had any of family that cared about us so we only really had each other. I found it incredibly sweet in a weird sort of way. However I was still skeptical. What if Rocky had been planning to spend time alone as well? Could I spring a double date on him so quickly? I suddenly remembered my newfound confidence and nodded.

“Okay fine, I will” I said smugly, watching Fletcher’s eager expression.

‘Hey… how would you feel about a double date?’
I hit sendand quickly became very worried. I bit my lip and glanced up at Fletcher who was still on the edge of his seat. I didn’t see what the big deal was; surely Rocky would want to meet my friends, wouldn’t he? My prayers were answered when he finally texted back.

‘Sounds good, who with?’

‘My friends Fletcher and Olive, they’re really nice.’
I cringed slightly at the fact I had called them ‘nice’ it sounded so childish. Nevertheless I was pleased he had agreed to it.

“He’s up for it” I smiled at Fletcher. His facial expression instantly changed from worried to excited. I wish I knew what he was thinking because he was definitely up to something.

*

Fletcher and I were the first to arrive at the pier. Luckily for us, it was pretty empty although it was the middle of the week so most people were at school or work. The two of us had only had one lecture this morning therefore we had the rest of the day off and Rocky and Olive didn’t even go to university. Well I knew Olive didn’t, I had never even asked Rocky.