16 ✧ caregiver

"Let's have a talk before heading back to our home."
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Why is that guy always so mean to you?" Naruto's question caught her off guard. The question itself was the last thing (y/n) would think Naruto would ask, especially because he has a new start at life again. But she knew that children had a deep knack of curiosity and wouldn't appease the feeling until they felt they had enough information.

(Y/n) slowly thought over the question. And couldn't exactly pinpoint a single reason to why he was always rude. There could be numerous reasons to why and with his background, she knew that any of those reasons could be why he was the way he was. But she really couldn't say any of that to the young child who would then proceed to ask more questions about his life. Questions she didn't feel comfortable enough to answer. It felt to her like she was invading Kakashi's personal life.

"I can't really answer that question Naruto because even I don't know why." (Y/n) finally said, glancing at the boy who seemed to be processing her words. The boy finally nodding his head and seemingly shrugging off his sudden curiosity. Which made (y/n) inwardly smile at how carefree and nonchalant children really were.

"Do you think it's because he's lonely. Sometimes I got mad because I was lonely before I met you." Naruto questioned, turning his body towards (y/n) as he gave her his full attention.

The topic now at hand wasn't going to be dropped any time soon it seemed. Which made (y/n) panic inwardly because talking about Kakashi wasn't something she liked to do because she herself didn't understand the man.

"I can't say if he's lonely." (Y/n) was half sure and half not. She was certain that the male openly displayed that he didn't like other people's company but also knew that it didn't stop people from being around him. She happened to be someone that openly avoided the male because of his distaste of people.

"What brought these questions Naruto?" (Y/n) curiously asked, watching at how the boy seemed to curl into himself and flicker his eyes towards the ground compared to how they were just eyeing her eagerly.

Naruto only fiddled with the end of his shirt before meekly looking her into her  eyes once again. "I don't know. I think it's because he doesn't like me and that's why he's mean to you. I feel bad."

The boy always managed to hit her in her feelings. (Y/n) frowned, "Naruto, none of this is your fault. Kakashi is a special case, he has reasons to why he acts the way he does and I'm sure it has nothing to do with you. If anything it has nothing to do with me either."

Naruto wide eyes blinked at her. "Are you sure it's not because of me?"

(Y/n) smiled, "I'm sure Naruto."

Pleased with himself, the boy turned back in his seat and returned back to eating his almost finished bowl of ramen. As (y/n) patiently waited for the boy to finish eating his food.

"I'm done." Naruto broke the silence, patting his now full stomach as he slid off the seat. (Y/n) following his actions, setting down the right amount of money onto the table before thanking the man for their meals. Her body tensing at the feel of Naruto's hand grabbing her own before relaxing once more. Mentally chiding herself to get used to what would be a regular action now that the boy would live with her.

Speaking of living with her, she had just remembered that she didn't have anything that was fit for a young child. Her small apartment was suited for herself and while it had one bedroom, it was enough to hold both Naruto and her. She didn't have much stuff because she was always taking missions before her hiatus. She figured if she arranged things around, there could be a possibility that she could for a smaller bed for Naruto in there.

"Why are you frowning?" The questioned made her relax her facial muscles. Before looking down at her young ward.

"I just remembered that we have to go shopping for you and I think our apartment might be too small for us. I'm not complaining I'm just overthinking it too much." (Y/n) rambled before pausing as Naruto's surprised expression looked at her.

"Do we have to go shopping today? Can't we go tomorrow?" Naruto questioned, his eyes glancing around to the people they were passing by with scornful looks on their faces.

(Y/n) then realized that people must always look at Naruto with these hateful expressions. She then understood why the boy chose to keep away from crowds and generally anyplace where there could be hordes of people. She gave his hand a reassuring squeeze to let him know that she was still with him.

The boy looking up to give her a thankful look. His body straightening up with new found confidence, now ignoring the random people passing him. His only focus on (y/n); giving her multiple questions for her to answer as they continued to pour out his mouth.

"We don't have to go shopping today but we have to go sometime Naruto." (Y/n) reminded him, pausing in from of a small store that seemed to sell child's apparel. In any case that the boy decided he now wanted to go ahead and grab clothing for his permanent stay. The blond boy mulled over the question, eyes glancing to the building before looking at the direction in which their apartment was towards.

"I just want to go home. I'm sorry." Naruto quickly apologized, worried that he upset the woman who cared so much about. Worried that she would regret taking him in because he was being difficult and not letting her do it now that they were here. Feeling anxious as he awaited her answer, his feet shuffling on the ground.

"Naruto it's okay. I want you to be comfortable. If you don't want to be around people right now then I won't force you to be around them. Let's go home and we'll decide later when we'll get you your things."

"Home?" Naruto questioned.

(Y/n) smiled, "Yeah our home. Let's go home Naruto."

Together, hand in hand. The two walked along the path to their apartment. Both wearing smiles on their faces as Naruto continued to chat along the whole way. The two both too happy to pay attention to the people around them giving them inquisitive stares. Stares that said Naruto was a monster and what was the young adult doing talking and holding his hand. Yet, (y/n) could careless about what they had to say because all she was cared about was taking her young boy home where they were safe and alone in the comfort of their four walls.

________________________

This was long overdue but what can I say other than I'm trying. Also I think this chapter sucked.