6

"It's 37% for the Winchester Mansion and 37% for the house," Colby said, walking downstairs. I looked up from where I was sitting on the counter reading 'On the Origin of Species' by Charles Darwin for the hundredth time while drinking my morning cup of coffee.

"What, the finalized result?' I asked, setting the book down. It had been a week long Twitter poll.

"Yup. Are you reading that evolution book again?" Colby asked, walking over to me.

"If by 'that evolution book' you mean one of the greatest nonfiction works of all time, then yes. Yes I am," I said.

"Nerd," he replied, taking my coffee from me and drinking some.

"You don't even like coffee," I said, taking it back.

"No, no I don't," he said, making a face. He walked over to the fridge and took out a bottle of water.

"So how are we going to choose? I guess it's not quite fair to the fans to just pick between the two of them yourself after offering them the chance to do it."

"I was just going to post another poll later today with only the two options," said Colby.

"Yeah, that sounds—," I was cut off by my phone ringing and loudly buzzing on the counter. I hopped onto the ground and walked over to it to see that it was my old work calling.

"Hello?" I asked, answering it.

"Vanessa? Is that you?" asked a familiar voice.

"Amy! Hi! Yeah, it is. What's up, girl?' I asked. She was an old coworker of mine who had been promoted to branch manager when I left the position.

"Did you by any chance decide on where you're going for that next Sam and Colby series trip?" she asked.

"Uh, no. I guess not. There was a tie between two of the places. How come?" I asked.

"Was one of those places the Wisconsin one?" asked Amy.

"The house? Yeah, why?" I asked.

"Hold on. Let me put you through to Megan," said Amy. Megan was the store's supervisor from corporate.

"Hello? Vanessa?" Megan's voice asked from the other line.

"Megan, hey, how are you?" I asked.

"I'm great! How have you been, sweetheart?" she asked.

"I've been so good. What's all this about Wisconsin?" I asked.

"Oh! Well, it's been a while since you went on your last all-expense paid trip for Chanel and there's a place up in Wisconsin that we'd love for you to go. It's only a couple hours away from that house place you guys suggested. We have the new winter collection in and we wanted you to go ahead and model it now to spread the awareness of it. I know it's only October, but we've got to get the gears rolling. Plus Wisconsin is cold," said Megan.

"Wow. Okay. Well... we were going to do another vote to see if they wanted to do the house or the Winchester Mansion," I said.

"Hm. Is it possible for me to sway you toward the house?" she asked.

"Possibly," I said. I held a finger up to my lips and looked at Colby to tell him to be quiet, then put the phone on speaker and set it on the counter. "How exactly were you planning on convincing me to go to the house instead of the mansion?" I asked, filling Colby in on what was happening.