17.Orchids

Karma

"Can I take one?"Kendra asked pointing at my fries that I had barely touched because I could feel Jason's intense stare at me."Yes, of course." I answered and she smiled. Sydney was once again eating quietly lost in her thoughts."Do you want one of my fries too?" I grinned at her but she shook her head."Thanks, Karma, but I'm not in the mood for fries." she told me and gave me a weak smile.
"If you want to talk about it you know that we're here, right?" I placed my hand on her shoulder and she laughed humourlessly."If I talked about it, you would probably tell me that I am insane." she explained and I completely understood. When I first realized that I could do magic, I felt like no one would understand too but then Leo saved the day."Whenever you feel ready I swear that I will listen carefully to whatever you have to say." I said tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear."If this is about vampires then you should probably tell her that she is insane."Kendra pointed out and I glared at her.
Leo approached our table smiling. When he came close enough he ruffled my hair and I smacked his hand."I'll be waiting in my car for you when school is over." he announced smiling."I'll come and find you." I nodded grinning."Since when are you two dating?"Kendra arched her brow."Girls, how many times do have I told you that we're just hanging out? Tell them, Leochu." they just couldn't realize that I and the handsome vampire had no romantic feelings for each other."We are not dating." he stated."Fine, fine, not dating."Kendra said in a boring tone. Jason, on the other hand, listened to our conversation happily. He had a big smile on his face that made him look so cute that I wanted to pinch his cheeks.
"How are you?"Leo asked Syndey who gave him a sad smile."I'm not doing very well." she responded and he sighed."I can see that. I understand that you're grieving but at least eat all your food, Syd." he played with her hair and she nodded ."Promise me that you're going to eat it." he said softly. Her cheeks turned into a light pink color."I promise." she muttered and Leo smiled proudly."That's my girl." he exclaimed. It was obvious that the girl with the raven dark hair had a crush on Leo, I don't understand how but she looked so into him even though they were at each other's throats before her cousin's death. I guess death brings people together.
When the school finished Leo was waiting for me inside his car like he said he would."Hey." I said happily and he just smiled at me turning the engine on."We practice your skills first, later we can go to the mall and you can buy whatever dress you like for prom." he explained and I nodded.
I had never been to prom before and I was kind of excited, I and Leo were still going together."You know, it's kind of weird that you are going to prom with me while there's another girl that you're interested in." I pointed out trying to make him tell me about him and Sydney."I'm not interested in anyone." he tried to deny it but I was having none of it."You can talk to me about her, Leochu. I won't judge." I snorted."There is nothing to talk about." he lied once again."You know, someone who claims to be as wise as Yoda once told me that I should stop torturing myself by hiding my feelings. I'm saying the same thing to him now." I gave him a friendly punch on the shoulder.
"I won't date her." he stated."But you want to." I mentioned."I won't sleep with her." he told me."But once again, you want to." I pointed out."I'll just help her." I shook my head."Why don't you try to be in a decent relationship with her?" I asked him."The girl had her cousin killed by a vampire, do you actually think she is ready to be in a relationship with one?" he responded and I giggled."So, you actually considered it." I told him and he laughed."Yes, I have." he said shyly. He was adorable.
"Why don't you wait until she'll be able to date you?" I wondered and he sighed."I'm not good at relationships, clumsy one." he explained sadly."Why do I think that this is a lie?" I cocked my brow."My kind isn't supposed to get close to anyone. Getting attached to humans, other creatures or other vampires can bring a lot of complications. That's why our mother advised us that we should only be close to family." he explained.
"Your mother?" I was confused. Was his mother a vampire?"She is not my biological mother, she turned me into a vampire. My family, I mean her and the people she turned. In my family, there's my mother, Natalie and me. My biological parents died of illness a long time ago. I was going to die but my mother, who was my lover at that point changed me. Natalie became a part of our family not long after, she isn't really family though but she was a newborn scared and alone, we pitied her and my mother took her under her protection." I was stunned.
"You know changing someone is a huge responsibility that very little vampires can bear." he told me and I just stared at him for a few seconds not knowing what to say."I'm sorry about your parents." I told him softly and he smiled."They are in a better place now if what they say about God and the paradise is true." he shrugged but I could tell that he missed them, like a human, like I missed my dad.
"So you pretend to be family with Natalie and your mother?" I asked him and he laughed."We don't have to pretend, after all those years we're actually family." he chuckled."I've never seen your mother." I mentioned and he parked the car in front of the house."That's because she rarely comes home anymore. She is busy dating the self-called vampire king." he said and I looked at him confused.
"I thought that she said that you shouldn't date or befriend anyone." I pointed out."Well, he is different, you can't actually deny any of his requests easily, she didn't really have a choice but then again I think that she likes the guy."Leo scratched the back of his neck uncomfortably."Aren't you mad that she dating someone else? I thought you were in love with her." I inquired and Leo seemed to lose his breath suddenly.
"I was, I was insane about her, you can't even imagine, the thing I was willing to do... You can't, I just can't... but that that was more than one hundred years ago and things changed." he clearly was on edge, he had a tight grip on his stirring wheel. "She became my mother and we stopped dating because it's kind of gross to date your mom." he told me and I sighed frustrated."But she is not your mother." I threw my hands in the air while he parked the car."I know she isn't but she kind of is." he shrugged."Dude, your kind confuses me so much." I said and he laughed.
We finally arrived at his house after that very weird conversation. When we got inside his house we immediately started practicing my magic. I did tricks with water and learned how to make it freeze and boil. It was really fun and it can become handy in various situations if you think about it.
I learned how to boil it really quickly but when it came to freezing, it took me almost one hour to actually do it. Leo said it was because the last time I did magic I used fire. He told me that when he saw me do that he was speechless, he thought that I was really cool. I threw a fireball without anyone teaching me how to make one. He said that I'm going to become very strong. I got really happy when he said all those stuff, it made it seem like he actually cared but his mother's advise told him that he shouldn't care. I couldn't understand if he was using me for something or if I was an exception.
"I'm not going to teach you about fire today. Out of the four elements, fire is the most unpredictable and the hardest to tame. It surprised me that you handled it so well the other time. Fire is pure emotion and if you're not very, very careful, it will destroy everything it touches." he warned me and I nodded understanding."It actually is pure emotion. The fire that came out of my fingers the other time, that was my anger towards Jason." I explained to him."I know, anger is usually the emotion that helps the witch create fire according to my book." he told me."Then I guess it didn't just happen to me but to other witches too. They got angry and burned someone." I shrugged."Thank got Jason is not burned." he said and I laughed."I wouldn't hurt him, I can't bring myself to do such a thing." I explained playing with my hair."Of course, you can't, your highness." he smiled sweetly at me.
"Are you ready to go and buy the dress of your dreams?" Leo was even more excited than me."As ready as I'll ever be Leochu.Let's go." I answered smiling. The mall wasn't very far from Leo's house. It took us about fifteen minutes to get there and once again I thought that it was a good idea to ask about Sydney."So, you always liked her that much or it just happened now?" This conversation was making him uncomfortable I could tell."When we dated she annoyed the hell out of me, I was going to break up with her but her blood was so sweet that I dated her for more than two months. Some vampires say that sweet blood means that this person fits perfectly with you. I never believed such rumors of course and Sydney used to annoy the shit out of me but the thing that happened to her cousin broke her, I guess. I don't think she is who she used to be. I'm helping her kill her cousin's killer." he announced and I looked at him shocked.
"She knows about us?" I said astonished."Us?"Leo arched his perfect blonde brow."The supernatural creatures." I responded and he nodded."You told her?" I couldn't believe that he told her something like that so easily."Yes. I couldn't help myself. I had to." he muttered."How did she take it?" I wondered."Fine, I guess. I haven't said a word about you nor Jason if that's what you're wondering." he said his eyes fixed on the road."I'm glad you're opening up to people." I smiled and he snorted.
When we arrived at the mall was already packed with people. From what Leo informed me that it's always like that because it's in the center of our small town and most of the young people come here to hang out."There is one shop which has really nice prom dresses."Leo mentioned."Then take me there." I told him and he motioned me to follow him but of course, I had lived up to the stupid nickname that he gave me once again and Ι fell to the ground.
"Seriously, after that, you want me to believe that you're not clumsy?" he asked cocking one of his blonde, thick brows."The only clumsy thing around here is your ugly ass." I spat and he broke into laughter."My ass is perfect." he stated and gave me his hand to get up."Let's find you a dress that is going to impress your prince charming, your highness." he said and started to lead me to the store."Jason is definitely not prince charming."Leo rolled his eyes at my remark.
On the third floor of the mall, there was a big store with a huge, fancy, shining sign and it was full of dresses. Leo sat comfortably on a couch right across the dressing room while I picked and tried on dresses. The first dress that I tried was a strapless pink one. When I got outside Leo shook his head disappointed."Too innocent, I don't like it. Try something else." he instructed."But I think it looks really pretty." I sighed."It does look pretty but it's too innocent." he explained."What do you mean too innocent?" I inquired."I'm a virgin and no boy has touched my boobs innocent." he responded."Why the boobs specifically?"Leo rolled his eyes."I don't know, but that's the vibe it gives me, pick another one." he told me.
"You realize that this a school dance and I can't wear something way too revealing right?"Leo shook his head disappointed once again."If you don't year something revealing then how are you going to tease Jason?" I glared at him."I'm not teasing anyone, you fucking pervert. Besides, he gets triggered on his own and whatever dress I wear he is going to be staring at me anyway." I whispered-yelled because I didn't want anyone to hear us and went back to my changing room.
The next dress I tried was a light blue one but it didn't look really good on me. Leo noticed too and told me."Let me pick a dress for you."Leo suggested."No way." I said sternly."Oh, come on, you can trust me. I swear both your butt and your boobs will be inside the dress." I examined his face for a few seconds to make sure that he was telling the truth and then nodded hesitantly. He gave me too dresses one in a navy blue color and a red one. I tried them both.
The red one looked nice, Leo agreed on that too."I like this color on you."Leo mentioned."Thank you, I guess." I smiled."I think the blue one will suit you better though. Go and try it." for a guy I could honestly say that Leo liked shopping. The whole time we were in that store he didn't complain even once. The blue dress looked so nice that I took a little extra time admiring it in the mirror."Leo, I think we found it." I said and walked out of the dressing room. When he saw me a smile appeared on his lips and his dangerously beautiful blue eyes sparkled."It's fantastic. Please buy it and wear it every day at school. Karma, it's so pretty that I want to cry." I rolled my eyes playfully but I wanted to squeal.
"Pay for the dress, change your clothes and I'll meet you outside of the store when you're done. I want to buy something to drink." he said and I sighed."Wait for a couple of minutes and we'll go together." I told him."No." before I could say anything else he vanished from the store. I swear the god vampires confuse me. Why couldn't he just wait for me? I changed back to my clothes and paid for the dress. I said goodbye to the beautiful, blonde cashier and left. Leo was nowhere to be found though.
At first, I thought that I should go look for him but I decided against it so In the end, waited outside the store. A few minutes later the annoying vampire came back wearing a million-dollar smile on his face."Did you buy it?" he asked."Yes, I did." I showed him the bag that I was holding."I bought something too." he waved a bag in front of my face."I thought that you were buying a drink. What is that?" I inquired."It's a gift for a girl with long dark brown hair and big blue eyes do you know her?" he said in a very playful tone.
I was surprised, I didn't see that coming. At first, I didn't even know if the gift was actually for me but the look in his face confirmed it."You bought that for me?" I was still a little bit hesitant to believe it."Yes, Karma I bought that for you." he said in a bored tone."Thanks, that's so nice of you." Leo just raised his brow."Well, open it." he told me and I opened the bag eagerly. When I saw what was inside I squealed."It's the jacket! You bought me the exact same jacket that you have!" my voice was so loud and high-pitched that everyone turned to stare at me."It's not the exact same jacket, this one is two sizes smaller." he pointed out and I rolled my eyes smiling."It' so nice Leo." I said biting my lip because I wanted to squeal again.
"When I found out that the store is still selling it I thought that I should buy it for you." he admitted."You are the sweetest vampire in the whole universe." I hugged him tightly. He chuckled."I swear..." I kissed his cheek."You are..." another kiss. "The cutest vampire." and another kiss. "I'm adorable, aren't I?" he asked and I nodded giggling.
"Guys!" a melodic voice echoed through the mall."Leo! Karma!" we turned our heads towards the sound and saw Serena walking towards us. Next, to her, Jason was looking pissed. I slowly unwrapped my hands from Leo, who took a step back terrified that Jason was going to smash his head on the wall or something like that."I didn't know that you guys were dating, Leo never told me." Serena looked so happy for us. He is going to kill us both. "You got it all wrong." I shoved the jacket into its bag."We're not romantically involved." I explained hoping that this would convince Jason who was suspiciously quiet. "I'm sorry, I just saw you kissing him on the cheek and I thought..." she said slightly embarrassed. "I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable or something." she quickly added. I stared at her wondering, why the hell would he want to cheat on this girl? "It's fine Serena. We're not dating though. I want to make that clear." Leo said looking at Jason who nodded."We're totally not dating." I added and Leo wanted to laugh, I could see it on his face.
After that, they waved us goodbye and Leo and I went to buy something to drink. We both got smoothies and sat down on a bench."You know it kind of pisses me off that Jason freaks out whenever we're together." I confessed." He doesn't freak out whenever we're together he just freaks out whenever we're touching and stuff like that. I kind of understand why that's happening." he shrugged." It's unfair, Leo, he has a girlfriend and I have to be cool about it and I can't touch a boy even though we're not or intend to get romantically involved." I said a little bit frustrated.
It honestly bothered me because he was shopping with his girlfriend and gave me and Leo angry looks because I kissed his cheek. Has he ever even considered the possibility that I am jealous too? Don't I have a right to be bothered? Why is he the only one with that privilege? "Well, if you put it like that then yes it's unfair and kind of selfish." Leo agreed with me and my phone buzzed.
The boy you shouldn't talk to: I wish you kissed my cheek like that.
You: If you want kisses on the cheek, break up with your girlfriend.
The boy you shouldn't talk to: It's unfair that he can be so close to you and I can't.

"See?" I gave Leo my phone and he sighed."Stupid, insecure werewolf." he chuckled."It's not funny Leo I'm serious! His possessiveness pisses me off. You know if he plans on making me his then that means that he has to be mine. He can't just expect me to stay loyal to him when he is practically cheating." I told him and the vampire sighed."Everything will turn alright in the end clumsy one, don't worry." He assured me but I rolled my eyes and replied to Jason.
You: What you are doing is unfair.
"I get why you're upset though, I totally do. I mean, you're my friend it's annoying that they assume we're something else." when he said that a big smile appeared on my face."What?" he laughed nervously and I smiled even wider."Karma, you're freaking me out." I gave him a light punch on the shoulder."So, friends huh? It's the first time you called me your friend." he scoffed."Well, aren't we friends?" he arched his blonde brow."I thought you didn't do the friends thing." I responded." I thought you were smart enough to realize that you are an exception. Besides, I wouldn't call us just friends, I mean, you're more like a best friend to me. I told you about Aurora, my mother, and our relationship before I changed, not even Natalie knows that I was madly in love with her." he pointed out."You know that your secret will be always safe with me." he rolled his eyes."If I didn't know that I wouldn't have said it." he shrugged.
"You know we wouldn't be like this if I hadn't come to your house after Jason tried to spell me." I sighed."You don't know that." he shook his head."Yes, I do and I'm so happy that I came to find you." he grinned and ruffled my hair."Can I confess something?" he asked shyly."Go on, tell me." I was eager to know."You know, usually, I don't go and hit on girls like the day that we met. I prefer making them hit on me, it makes the whole experience way more fun. There was something about you... I don't know how to express it but since we've been hanging out I've been feeling less and less alone. And it's such a nice feeling Karma...You can't even imagine..." he waited for my reaction and I was speechless because I knew exactly what he was talking about.
"I feel less alone too." we just stared at each other, our eyes sparkling. "I didn't know that I was so alone, all these years I thought that I was close to Natalie but that's not the case, I guess. Don't get me wrong I love her but I'm closer with you and not her. I guess she doesn't get me." he shrugged."I just think that you're two very different people and you don't have anything to talk about." I told him.
"I want to hug you right now." he broke into laughter."You could just hug me, you don't need to tell me you stupid creature." chuckling he wrapped his hands around my body and squeezed me on his chest."Karma, what kind of shampoo do you use? It smells really nice." I pinched him."Stop sniffing me, pervert." he just squeezed me tighter."Hey guys." we both stiffened that was Serena's voice."I'm going to kill myself."Leo sighed and we both could see Jason who was glaring at us."We meet again."Serena exclaimed. Jason was smiling but I could tell that he wanted to murder us."At my funeral I want the church to be decorated with orchids. Just have that in mind, Karma, it mind get handy." he said and I nodded. "Don't worry my friend I won't forget." Serena who had no idea about her boyfriend's crush on me looked at us like we were insane.

***

Above you can see Aurora, Leo's mother and one of my favorite characters in general and since I showed you the mather I can't help but post a picture of the gorgeous son.