5 - An Anonymous Gift

Error's POV

I got out of the portal and looked up. No souls, strings, or puppets. Huh. This ain't my Anti-Void.

I checked the code of this place and it seemed like this place used to be Flowerfell, the one that I destroyed recently. I was about to open another portal when I noticed the cape lying on the ground and picked it up.

"hUh. 1$n'+ th15 dR34m'$ c@p3? |+'s pr3tTÿ ru1n3d."

The cape was ripped at the edges. The bottom half of it was practically unsalvageable. I then remembered that Nightmare told me that they used to tie it around the Tree of Feelings, and Dream became really attached to it after Nightmare became "corrupted".

I shrugged and pocketed it. I might as well try to fix it.

I opened a portal to my Anti-Void and sat down.

Oh look, Error's back.

You filthy glitch. Why don't you go back to destroying?

Murderer.

Oh shut up idiots. The squid hasn't created anything for now. Just give him a break.

A destroyer like him doesn't deserve a break.

Why don't you just kill yourself?

I rolled my eyes at the Voices. By now I've gotten pretty numb to their insults. Back when Fate first formed me, the Voices were really harsh and cruel, but recently, some new voices have come. Apparently they were Creators from a different world who supplied the creativity that kept Ink alive. They also spoke about a "fourth wall" that they had to break through to talk with me. Weird.

I pulled out my needles, scissors and the cape. I cut off the bottom part of the cape, since it literally couldn't be saved. There was a rip near around to top middle, so I cut a circle out of it. I cut a bit off the top too, in a "v" shape. The cape was much shorter now, but it was better. I mean, with such a long cape how the heck does Dream walk without tripping every three seconds? I repositioned the clasp to the bottom of the "v", though the clasp was not needed anymore since the hole in the cape was for the head. I then cut the bottom of the cape to give it a rounder shape, and did a hemming stitch along with yellow thread to give it a cleaner look. I did some more stitching to change the shape a bit, and I was done.

Meh. It looked better than the old one, at least, to me.

I opened a portal to Dream's room and tossed the cape on the bed. Yeah, I knew where the Star Sanses' base was. I didn't bother breaking in, I mean, what's the point?

I took out my knitting needles and decided to knit a scarf for Blue. I already made ones for all of Nightmare's gang, so I was making Blue's now. I hummed to myself as took out my light blue yarn and began knitting.

Dream's POV

Everybody already left the meeting room, which was now orange with pink clouds floating around, kinda like a sunset. Like I said, the meeting room constantly changes appearance, but it always manages to look nice. Me and Ink were picking up the trash lying around on the floor. We used to have a "No Littering" policy, but nobody followed it anyway so we just didn't care anymore.

Ink rolled his eye lights as he teleported a stray piece of popcorn to the Void. "Since when did people start bringing popcorn?"

"Mmm...not sure really."

~~~

After we cleaned the place up, Ink made a portal back to our base. I immediately teleported face-first onto my bed. What a long day. I should be glad that they finally found a way to defeat Error, I guess. But...I wasn't. Maybe it's because his aura was so negative... 

Stars damnit, Dream. You're too forgiving for your own good. I groaned and sat up. That's when I saw a cape on my bed.

I took it and looked at it closely. It was my cape. It still had the same sun design on the back and the clasp. The shape was really different. Though, the cape got ripped up when it got stabbed by Killer. I took a close look at the hem. There was really fine stitching along the edge.

Whoever fixed this must've been really skilled.

"Who fixed my cape? Ink? But he would just give it to me in person. And that squid wouldn't give me a gift anonymously. Nightmare? No, he can't sew for the life of him. He always hated sewing when we were younger too. And Blue...he wouldn't know that I lost my cape. Unless he noticed during the meeting...but how would he have found it anyways?"

I groaned really loudly in frustration.

"Dream? You okay?"

"Ngh, yeah, I'm fine..."

I put on the cape and looked in the mirror. It looked pretty good and it was more convenient. It took a long time before I could run without tripping on that cape. It got caught on a lot of stuff too. Actually, I might as well change my whole outfit. I've used this outfit for...what? 500 years? Of course I washed it, and Ink repaired it when it got torn or something. But it was about time for a new outfit.

"Alright, new cape new me!"

I opened up my closet door. I had other clothes, duh, but the old outfit was the one I just wore mostly. I threw together a new outfit and tried it on. Not bad. It suited me more than the old one. I sat back down on my bed.

"Welp, thank you to whoever fixed my cape."

{My headcanon is that the Voices that Fate originally put in were the ones who drove Error to insanity. Eventually more voices came (the readers and the people of the Undertale community). It's kinda like the original Ask Error comic. Some people like him and some don't, and the ones who hated him were the only ones that were allowed access to Error at first. Feel free to leave a comment for Error too!}