Chapter 12: Roommate

"What! Roommate? Just how long am I gonna be here?" Eren jumped up but flinched and lowered to the floor in pain.

"Eren, what's wrong? Hanji come here."
Levi grabbed Eren into his arms and carried him to the couch and Hanji grabbed her kit and started to observe Eren and find the problem. Hanji couldn't find anything, she figured the medics wouldn't let him off if they had noticed a problem but they didn't have the correct equipment to find internal damages so that's the conclusion Hanji came to.

"Hey Eren do me a favor okay, I'm gonna check your chest so tell me if it hurts when I touch it okay?" Eren's eyes widened but he gave in to Hanji and obeyed her.

"O-okay." Hanji pulled his shirt off and boy was this gonna be harder than she thought.
He had multiple bruises and cuts on his chest and even a really big gash but the bruises looked like they ran deep because of how dark they were. Hanji looked to Levi but he was looking the other way covering his mouth, he got up and walked into the kitchen and Hanji heard the teapot.

"Its okay Eren he's just stressed right now."
Eren nodded and Hanji continued to press on different areas but she decided she wanted to see if the bruises were the problem. She touched it and Eren screamed and Hanji fell backwards from how loud he was and Levi slid into the room trying to check on the young boy.

Hanji watched Levi's protective instincts take over and let Eren calm down before she talked to him. When Eren finally calmed down she approached him with a warm rag and told him what was wrong.
"Eren, you have a few broken ribs and if you're careful you'll be fine, but the reason the medics couldn't figure that out was because they didn't have x-ray equipment and because you lied to them, why?"

"I-i didn't w-want them to take me away from Levi." Levi felt even more guilty than before, and he realized that Eren really was afraid of people.

"Okay Eren let's get you cleaned up and some food." Levi picked Eren up and carried him to the bathroom where he started the water and prepared the bath for Eren.

"So uh you go ahead and get a bath and call me when you're done alright, dinner should be done by then." They were both in the bathroom awkward and kept looking in the opposite direction from each other.

"Hey Levi can you help me please?" Eren needed to take off his shirt but he wasn't able to lift his arms because of the pain in his chest."

"Um yeah, sure." Levi walked over to Eren and carefully grabbed the hem of his shirt and felt Eren jump when his hand touched Eren's stomach. "Sorry."

"I-its fine but I was wondering why I'm staying here and I can't go back home?"
Levi continued to shift the shirt upwards while explaining to Eren.

"Because If you stay there you are just gonna get hurt again and I don't want that and even if you are my student you're one of my best friends and I don't let anyone hurt my friends. Plus there's no one there to take care of you when your mom is gone and your dad is in jail."

"J-jail!"

"Yeah Eren, jail, because he beat you and let his friends do horrifying things to you that are unforgivable." Levi finally got Eren's shirt all the way off and gave him one look before exiting the room and letting him get cleaned up.

When Levi walked in the living room Hanji was watching TV and eating Levi's food.
"Gee thanks four eyes, just eat the whole goddamn fridge."

Levi walked past her and into the kitchen where he made them bread and soup but better than it used to be. Levi heard Eren call his name and speed walked to the bathroom where he waited for Eren to reply.

"Hey Levi I need some uh help I kinda fell.."
Levi mentally face palmed and asked Eren if he was covered, when Eren gave him the go he walked in to find the boy leaning against the wall covered with a towel.