Part Four: Dreams and Changes

The Snuggly Duckling

Elsa held tightly onto Anna's hand. In a way Elsa liked it. This was the first time she had had any physical affection with her sister in years. But it was also stressful. What if Elsa got scared and used her powers by mistake? Then what would happen? Anna getting hurt was the only outcome of that. But still, it felt nice to Elsa that she could bond with her sister.
Elsa's thoughts returned to everyone freaking out about her hair. She never really did find out what was wrong with it, if anything. Elsa contemplated about asking about her hair but she decided that there were too many other important questions to ask then that.
Anna must have sensed her sisters uneasiness beccas ur she reassuringly squeezed her hand.
"So Repunzel,". Anna spoke up to break the uncomfortable silence if the atmosphere. "What are the floating lanterns?" Every so often, Jack, Elsa, and Anna had to watch where they walked because of Repinzels dangerously long and beautiful hair.
"Oh there wonderful." She replied. "Of course Flynn would know more then me. I've never spent a day out of that castle back there." Anna gasped.
"Never in your life?"
"Never." Repunzel chirped matter-o-factly. "All's I know, is that they always are in the night sky on my birthday. I've asked momma to go see them many times. That's all I would ask for and nothing else.. She always told me no." Anna gave a dissaproving glare to Flynn who kept walking on ahead.
"How'd you end up with him then?" Repunzel laughed, and for the first time Anna noticed a little green reptile perched on her shoulder.
"He broke into my tower. Had a stolen crown with him. I told him I would return it if took me to see the lanterns."
"Which I am blonde."
"It's Repunzel." She sighed.
"Cozuntight." Anna gasped suddenly.
"That crown belongs to a princess..." Flynn just scoffed.
"You mean the one who has been lost for 16 years? Yeah, I know." Now feeling quite dumb for bringing it up, Anna looked down at her feet.
"16 years?" Anna asked quietly.
"Yup... Was taken as a child right from within the castle walls. That's what the lanterns are for. It's her 16th annerversery of her last day in the castle."
"For a thief, you sure know a lot." Jack spoke up distastfully toward Flynn. He just got a crooked side smile. "I get around." The more they walked, the more Repunzel seemed to get anxious.
"Hey..." Anna spoke softly. "Are you ok?"
"I'm just thinking about what my mom told me. That there are evil creatures outside my tower..."
"That isn't entirely true-". Upon saying that, Flynn announced to them all,
"Oh here we are! The snuggly duckling. Five star joint right here. And if you cant handle this blonde then we might as well just send you home." Repunzel stoubbornly shook her head as they all followed along behind Flynn. Anna heard Repunzel shriek as Flynn effortless made it through crowds of buff, stinky men. The rest slowly as well. Anna became a bit frightened but she was unsure of how to react.
"Elsa, keep it cool. Let Jack handle it if it gets bad." Anna whispered as a warning.
Elsa nervously looked around at all the men surrounding them. Most of them looked like they were criminals. Elsa looked over to Anna and nodded at what she said.
Elsa gently squeezed Anna's hand to keep her close to her. Though Elsa knew she could easily handle things if they got rough she would refuse to use them until absoloutely necessary.
Why was this Flynn character even taking them here? How would they see the lanterns if they were in wherever this place was?
Repunzel looked like she was about to lose it. Her green eyes were huge with fear.
"That... Is a lot of hair." Said one man, his grubby hands holding the golden strands. Anna grabbed it from his hands and gave him a nasty look.
"Flynn... What are we doing here?" Repunzel stammered.
"I thought you all might be hungry so... Here we are! Oh Joe, is that blood in your mustache? He's got blood in his mustache!" The man who Flynn was referring to did not look amused in the slightest.
"Hey you." Said another man. He reached past Anna and grabbed Flynn by his shirt collar, pulling him up to eye level. "This you?" It was a wanted poster. Flynn didn't answer but moved the mans thumb.
"Oh! They never get my nose right!" The man holding him smiled and looked back to the front of the small pub. "Jeffery, go get some guards." The thin, stocky boy ran out and now everyone was staring at Flynn. "You know what I could do with 10 grand?" He spoke, spitting every word.
"What if I need it?" Said another man, thin and dirty with a cigar hanging from his mouth.
"Or me?" Said another.
"I got him first." Snapped the first guy. There was a small time for tense and silence, but then a huge fight broke out, Repunzel, Anna, Elsa, and Jack forgoton. Just then Repunzel gasped. She took out a frying pan she had been holding and began protesting to the backs of these men.
"Hey! Stop! Give me back my guide!" The men ignored Repunzel as they stretched and fought over Flynns body. Anna dashed into help to.
"You ravenous animals!" She screamed. Jack kept a tight hold on Elsa to make sure she didn't try it as well.
"Stop! Stop it!" Repunzel was shoved away and she frowned then moved to her last resort. She hit the lead man over the head with her frying pan.
"Stop! Please..." Everyone turned to her with nasty glares. "Havnt you ever had a dream?" One man took a large ax and started heading Repunzels way, while another dropped Flynn to the ground. Repunzel backed up slowly and cowered. The man raised his ax but then surprised everyone.
"I... Had a dream once." He threw the ex near another mans head who terrifyingly began to play the accordion.
"I'm malicious mean and scary, my sneer could curdle dairy, and violence wise my hands are not the cleanest! But dispute my even look and my temper and my hook,". The man walked up onto a tiny stage. "I've always dreamed to be a concert pianist!" Suddenly it was like Repunzel had opened up their hearts. They all began to express there hopes and dreams. Repunzel listened with a smile on her face at all the happy people who turned out to be not dangerous at all, even though they looked that way.
"What about you?" Said the large lead man. He grabbed Flynn by the shoulders and stood him on his feet.
"I'm sorry what?"
"What's your dream?" Said another man.
"No, no, no boys. I don't sing." Suddenly there were many sharp swords at his throat. "I have dreams like you, no really! Just much less touchy feely, that mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny!" Flynn was weirdly dancing and Anna, Elsa, Repunzel, and Jack had to hide their giggles. "On an island that I own, and enrested and alone! Surrounded by enormous pounds of money!" The men threw Flynn up in the air, and by now Anna was comfortable with singing along. She joined in with Repunzel knowing Jack and Elsa would not participate. Which she was okay with. Just as long as her sister was here. Anna wanted to speak up so she stood on top of a table, Repunzel following.
"I got a dream! I got a dream! I just want my sister to stay with me! And even if it's for my own protection, I can't stand any more rejection! Elsa please, I just want your effection..." Everyone broke into the chorus again and it was now Repunzels turn.
"I got a dream! I got a dream! I just wanna see the floating lanterns gleam! And with every passing hour I'm so glad I left my tower, cause way down deep inside I got a dream!" From outside the snugly duckling, Gothel and Hans peeked their heads in to the pub, seeing everyone happy and cheerful.
"C'mon. Let's get in there." Hans snarled.
"No." Gothel held her hand out infront of Hans chest.
"Let's wait to ruin their parade." Reluctantly Hans nodded. In the distance was the sound of horses and angry voices.
"Over there!"
"Let's go Hans." Gothel instructed as they dissapeared in a black sand at the front door.
"Cause way down deep inside we have a dream...!" Rang out the pub. Suddenly the front door was caved in.
"I got them! I got the guards!" Jeffry announced.
Flynn grabbed Anna and Repunzel, hiding them behind a bar counter. Two men shelter Elsa and Jack over quickly to Anna, Repunzel, and Flynn. They all listened tensly.
"Keep calm Elsa..." Anna whispered.
"Where is he? Where's Rider?" Said the lead gaurd. There was a loud neighing sound next, then shuffling hooves, and a sniffer.
"Dog maybe?" Jack asked skeptically.
"Dogs don't sound like horses." Anna snapped.
"Shush!" Repunzel cautioned.
This was what, the second time in maybe under an hour they were in danger? Elsa was getting tired and paranoid of these situations.
Elsa looked over to Anna she seemed worried but surprisingly calm at the same time. How could she do that? They might be killed any second!
Elsa wasn't going to sit there and do nothing. She glanced over and noticed a latch looking thing in the floor behind them. Carefully, she pulled on it and opened a hidden passageway.
Elsa nudged Anna in the shoulder. "You take everyone through the passageway. I'll create a distraction." She whispered.
Without waiting for Anna's response Elsa shot a piece of ice into the corner. A horse, which acted more like a dog, jumped and pounced onto the ice.
While everyone's heads were turned, Elsa revealed herself. "Go!" Elsa whispered to everyone hiding.
"I bet you're wondering where that came from." Elsa said walking out into the light.
Maybe this wasn't such a good idea... Elsa would probably get killed from this but if it meant keeping Anna safe, Elsa would gladly take the risk.
Sighing in irritation of Elsa's games, she grabbed her sisters wrist firmly and brought her to the ground, dragging her with.
"Stop playing hero." She mummbled. Everyone turned to the passage way. The sisters followed the dark passage and began hurrying after Rapunzel and Flynn. Anna stood up once the ceiling was high enough. She couldn't believe the ignorance of her sister. After she poured her heart out about wanting them to be closer as sisters... For Elsa to stop running away, she still offered herself up to save Anna. She didn't need saving! She needed a sister!
"C'mon you three... Hurry up." Rapunzel said softly. Jack looked over at Elsa who looked stunned.
"You know why she did that... Right?" He was a little annoyed as well. His feelings for Elsa were growing, and she was oblivious to the love of her sister and himself.
"No! I don't!" Elsa snapped at Jack. What had she done wrong now?! She was only trying to help! For the first time in forever, Elsa had actually used her powers by herself! Not from any emotions! But through her own will!
Elsa stomped ahead of the group, trying to leave them behind, leaving a trail of sharp icy spikes behind her.
Jack dashed up to Elsa with his stick, gliding around the rest. "Oh c'mon." He spat. "For once think how Anna feels... For once don't push her away and put yourself in danger-" Jack stopped abruptly as a loud rumbling sound came from around the corner behind them. Anna, Flynn, and Rapunzel were all running towards them.
"We have to go. All of you run." Flynn instructed. And so they did, flying down the dark passage until they came out of a tunnel into bright sunlight, surrounded on all sides by large river ravines.
"Don't lose it Elsa. Stay calm. Will yourself to control your powers." Jack said. As they kept running, Repunzel cowered next to Flynn. Gaurds broke out from the ground below.
"Who are they?" She squeaked.
"Uh... They don't like me." Then two thugs broke from the other side.
"Who are they?" Panick was riding in her voice.
"They don't like me either." He replied frantically looking around. Then right behind them a horse jumped out.
"Who's that?"
"Let's just say for the sake of time, no one likes me." The horse came at them with a dagger and Flynn began to fight him with Rapunzels frying pan.
"You should know this is the weirdest thing I've ever done!" The horse disarmed Flynn, and he looked sheepishly into the animals eyes. Rapunzel took her long hair and threw it over a wooden plank. She grapped Anna tightly and Flynn jumped on as well.
"Ice couple! Follow us on that staff of yours!" Flynn hollered. Jack nodded and grabbed Elsa by her waist as he skidded onto the ground and sliding after the other three. Suddenly a big water bank burst, filling the ditch quickly. Jack widened his eyes as the water knocked over a large boulder. It began falling... Down, down, down... Rapunzel and the other two were heading straight for a cave. Jack pulled up on his staff, frosting the surface of the water and bringing himself and Elsa over the cave as the boulder blocked if the exit, Rapunzel, Flynn, and Anna trapped inside, where water still flow around the large rock.
"Elsa!" It was Anna's muffled voice behind the rock. Water was flooding around her feet and terror surged through her blood. She banged her fists against the rock but it was no use. She layed her head against the cold surface, tears dripping slowly into the water.
"Anna!" Elsa yelled back, struggling against Jack. They were all seperate now. Three in a dark cave left to die, and two on a grassy plain outside the flooded ditch.
"We have to go back for her! Jack we have to-". He turned around and clamped his large hands on her shoulders.
"Elsa. You know we can't. There is no way of saving them." Elsa was well aware. Things were never easy anymore. Either way she kept loosing Anna. Numbly Elsa lay down on the grass, in which now began to freeze in a circle around her body. She cried into her hands morning for her sisters return. Jack stood there, hurting as well. Elsa was so emotionally and physically exausted from all of this action in one day. She had no idea where she was, and to make it worse she would never see Anna again. Jack sat down quietly and wanted to comfort Elsa but his attention went from her crumpled form to the ice around her body.
"What the..." He started and was curiously observing it. All through out the ice was black swirls, just moving to the tips of where it ended. They swirled like something beautiful, but Jack knew other wise. "Oh Elsa." He whispered.
Rapunzel and Flynn huddled together, watching Anna sob. "All's I wanted... Was for her to understand!" She punched the rock softly and layed her head against it. The water was now up to their waists. Anna turned around and walked over to her new friends.
"If this is how I die... I'm glad I'm not alone." She spoke gently and sat next to Rapunzel. The gold haired girl nodded with a sad smile.
"Me too." Flynn looked up with a blank expression.
"It wasn't supposed to end like this." He said emotionlessly.
"I'm scared." Rapunzel whimpered. Flynns face softened as he snuggled closer to her then held his hand out for Anna. They huddled together and gently placed their heads against to one another.
"My names Eugine... By the way." Anna and Rapunzel looked up slowly.
"I like that name better." Anna said. She smiled sadly thinking of her sister. "My sister pretended I was I invisible for most my life." They were all quiet for a few seconds. The water now up to their chests.
"I have magic hair that glows." Rapunzel blurted out. Her eyes went wide as she said it again. "I have magic hair that glows!" Flynn and Anna must have caught on as they also widened their eyes.
"Power gleam and glow, let your power shine-". She spoke quickly as the water engulfed them. At first it was just darkness, but then, Rapunzels hair flaired up in a brilliant light. There was a tiny home in the back if the cave. All three of them clawed at it as Rapunzels light dulled and finally went out. Eugine's hand broke free, and then in the next second, the whole wall burst, emptying out into the river below.
"They're probably dead by now..." Elsa said not hearing the wall break. Elsa made no attempts to get up what so ever. The only thing that was moving was the ice slowly creeping its way out from her body.
"I've failed..." Elsa whispered. "Anna's dead now... Because I was too stupid to do anything."
But then Elsa suddenly sat up. "But, maybe it's good I didn't do anything. After all we wouldn't want me to be 'playing hero', now would we?" Elsa retorted to herself as another black streak appeared in her hair.
Jack stood up startled. He backed up, seeing her hair start to grow darker. His eyes widened.
"Elsa... Y-your hair... What's wrong with your hair?" He saw more black starting to spiral through the ice, like it was blood moving through veins. "Elsa you need to stop..."
Anna grabbed the first thing she could. Soft grass under her fingers. She pulled herself up from the river and laid on her back as her clothes clung to her drenched body. Next Rapunzel and Flynn climbed beside her, breathing heavy and staring at the sky.
"Elsa... I'm here." She whispered, before passing out.