Pain and Suffering.. Chapter 1

In the large mansion lived three people a mother, son, and daughter and their servants. Living together in what others may think was harmony and enjoying the life of a nouveau riche.

The mother had red fiery locks and sharp golden eyes, her beauty during her prime made her one of the most sought after women before her marriage. The son inheriting the same looks like his mother, but with curly red locks instead. On the other side of the coin, was the father with his handsome profile and brown hair, known to be a renowned genius he single-handedly brought prosperity to the family. And lastly, the forgotten daughter who had inherited her father's purple eyes and, luscious brown hair. Less than a year ago the father had passed away due to an incurable illness. After the father's death, the mother ended up turning into a monster—someone the children and the servants could not even recognize and were no longer the kind person who they had loved.

——Time skip 5 years pass——

Slap...The sound echoed loudly in the room..all the servants bow before leaving..

"Merem... Your teacher has notified me of the grade you received on your previous test. When were you going to tell me about it?" A gorgeous woman said with coldness in her voice.

"Mother.," I replied with fear, my stomach began to fill with dread. Years of abuse, of broken wine glasses, flashed into my mind. I began to twist my dress. "Mother.. what I had received was one of the highest in the class... Mr. Giro only wanted to tell you how prou-"

"Last time I checked, a 91 was not an A." She cut me off as her golden eyes stared soullessly into my own. "When your brother was in Elementary school he always received 100s'. As have your father and I, did you think a mere 91 would make do?" Her words felt like a hundred needles were stabbing my body.

I placed my hand on my still stinging cheek. "But- I had actually received a 91.99 if you round it up it would be a 92," I replied to her in fear, in an attempt to justify myself.

"Silence!" She turned around. "Go to your room, you shall not be receiving any dinner for today as punishment. You are lucky that I am in a much better mood today... I do not feel like telling the nanny to flog you for your insolence at talking back to me." She sighed tiredly as she began to walk away. While I stood there, I heard her mutter under her breath... "That child.. just who does she take after? Her brother was never like this.."

At those words, I ran tripping up the flight of stairs and into my room.

Pant.. pant..

I slid down the door and hunched into myself in grief and anger. Tears streamed down my eyes. 'Mother, do you even love me?' I thought to myself. I wiped my tears away, stood up and walked to my bed. As I laid there I saw my favorite manga that I received from my father before he passed away. I got up and went to pick it up, GAKUEN ALICE, it read on the title. A smile formed onto my face, this manga brought me a lot of happiness and joy I've never experienced. A heart-wrenching feeling, a feeling I did not dislike began to form in my heart.

That was until I remembered what my mother said a long time ago...

"You cherish that 'book'?" She laughed harshly. "Your father got that on his trip to Japan, he only wanted to keep you quiet when he forgot your birthday the couple of months he was gone. Your brother received money and a new car on his birthday just a few days ago. Yet your father can not even remember yours."

——

I sighed as I tucked the book into my arms, going back to my bed before laying down. 'The protagonist Mikan with her warm smile and personality... I wish I were her or her friend.. so I can get away from this place..' I smiled at my childish thoughts. 'Brother, father.. would it have been better if I had not been born? Brother although I have been treated like this... I do not hate you, envy.. yes, but hate? I never have thought,' I thought before falling asleep.

Little did she know that the book began to glitter and glow at her words from before. Giving off a warm comforting feeling the book shone brighter before transporting Merem away from her home never to be seen again.

The book drops onto the bed and remains still.