Isolation - Chapter 17

"Put her into isolation."

"-but"

"She's uncontrollable."

A series of murmurs surround Merem's unconscious figure.

"She's just a child!"

"A child with powers she can not control!"

"It's our job to teach the students on how to control their Alice-!"

"And how did that work out?"

Through the fogginess of my mind I heard the argument of two people. One sounded extremely familiar, while the other sounded foreign.

I drifted to sleep, and their argument seemed to fade into the background.

——

I opened my eyes to see a well-furnished room. It was not the sight I usually awoke to. I tried to recall the events that happened that led to me being here but my mind drew up a blank.

Suddenly the door creaked open, startling me out of my thoughts. I turned my head quickly almost giving myself a whiplash.

The familiar sight of blond curly locks filled my eyes at first glance.

"Narumi-Sensei!" I gasped out in surprise, but even I could notice how tired my voice sounded. 'Why was he here? I haven't had time to greet him properly.' Before I could say another word he stopped me.

"Merem-Chan. Please try to conserve your strength. You're extremely weak right now." Narumi said to the young girl with warm eyes.

'I though I had been imagining it..." I tried to sit myself up in an attempt to refute his words, but found that I couldn't move even if I tried. 'What's wrong with me?'

Narumi-Sensei saw the desperation in Merem's eyes, and felt even more sorry for his student.

He sighed

The sound drew Merem's attention.

"Merem... because of unforeseen events regarding your Alice, the board thought it would be better to have you be put into isolation." He saw Merem open her mouth in what he thought to be disbelief.

"One of the alumni agreed to put around a barrier around this building which will prevent you from leaving, and others from outside from noticing this building. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do to prevent this from happening. However, I did manage to persuade the board into letting you join a few festivities."

Merem turned her head away from Narumi in an attempt to block out his words. She didn't even remember what she that landed her in isolation, she doesn't know why she felt so weak. Now... now though, there was no one to comfort her, her friends didn't even know where she was. She didn't belong in this world.

Once Narumi saw Merem ignore him, he knew that she needed space so he left. Closing the door slowly until it shut with a click.

——

Days passed and Merem continued her lessons in private. Without anyone to distract her, she managed to finish everything twice as fast, after all... her mother instilled rules into her at a young age.

She paused in her writing..."mom"... she muttered out loud.

'I wonder what she's been doing recently...' She looked down at her homework, she forgot her plans of attempting to get back to her world. Why was she here? How did she get there in the first place? Did her family miss her? These thoughts kept circulating in her brain.

'What about the family I ruined? Those children... one day... I'll tell them the truth.'

She continued writing. There was no point in worrying about useless things, she was trapped and there was nothing she could do about it. She just had to prove the board of teachers that she could be let back into her class to see her friends again.

——

It was Tuesday morning...

"Ehhhhh~ Merem-Chan still isn't back?!" Mikan said to Hotaru in shock.

Hotaru only nodded her head... after the incident with Merem's losing control of her Alice, the teachers would not answer any of her questions regarding Merem.

"No matter how much I try, sensei and the rest refuse to tell me about Merem-San's whereabouts." Hotaru said mindlessly.

"Then we have to ask Narumi-Sensei!" Mikan said desperately.

"That's impossible Sakura-Chan... Narumi-Sensei wouldn't budge on the topic no matter how much I asked, it's as Imai-San said..." Iinchou voiced out.

"Then what should we do?" Mikan looked at Hotaru.

"We? You mean you... I'm not getting into any more of your messes. If the teachers have Merem, I'm sure she's safe." Hotaru said while getting up. "Come on, we need to get to the next class. Jinno-Sensei isn't as forgiving to you than he is to me."

"But- ahhhh wait Hotaru~" Mikan said sulkily.

——